Re: Jetpack 890L frequently loses 4G, claims 3G but no data, requires hard reset
alecks
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem in NYC. I occasionally have this problem on my iPhone 5, but nowhere near as frequently.

Re: Jetpack 890L frequently loses 4G, claims 3G but no data, requires hard reset
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know that using 4G is great! I'm sorry you're having issues with your signal SeahawkFan80. Where are you located? Have you tried power cycling the device? I would also like to recommend toggling the network settings. I have listed the steps below:

1) On the Device, from the main screen of the device, select the Settings icon then select OK.

2) Select Mobile Network then press OK.

3)Select Network Select then press OK.

4) Select a network setting then press OK.
--Global Mode
If prompted, press OK.
--LTE / CDMA Mode
If prompted, press OK.
--GSM Mode

5) Select an option then press OK.
--Automatic
--Manual

6) Select back then press OK.

7) Select back then press OK.

I hope the information above is helpful. Please keep us posted.

KinquanaH_VZW

SeahawkFan80

Thank you for your help. I tried the settings you suggest below and that did not resolve my problem. I followed the advice of your Customer Service personnel and took everything back to the Verizon store. I got a new modem, new Sim card and made sure they activated it while I was at the store. I brought the modem home and it’s been working perfectly ever since – in 4G the entire time. So there must have been a problem activating the last one or with the modem itself or the Sim card – something was defective. For now the problem seems to be resolved. Thanks again!

0 Likes
Illiniwek
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same problems as Alecks, SeahawkFan80, Crtsharris, ArsCerebri, WillwNy, and Blue Goose.  My 890L boots into 4G but drops ino 3G, stays there, and won't connect to sites once it's in 3G. Does anybody have a resolution that has worked for them? 

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Your 4GLTE signal is failing and your 890L is defaulting back to 3G. This is normal behavior for Jetpacks. 

To influence this behavior you either need to improve your reception with boosters, antennas or amplifiers or configure your Jetpack to stay in 4G LTE mode only.  Ofcourse when your 4GLTE signal drops your MiFi will not default you back to 3G anymore which will cause different headaches.

I would suggest exploring the reception issue first.  Perform something called a Site Survey to learn more about your wireless enviornment.  Once you start to see the enviornment on paper you may be able to explore options to improve your 890L's wireless performance.

Site Survey:

http://3gstore.com/page/13_will_an_antenna_help_me.html

Illiniwek
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks!  I took a look at my RSSI, and ranged from the mid -60s to -80, with a typical score in the house around -70.  It looks like maybe i could benefit from an antenna.  Verizon responded to me via email and said they thought it was a SIM card problem, though, so i'll take the darn thing into the store and see what they can do. 

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

An avg RSSI of -70 is great for a 3G signal. -70 is average for 4GLTE.  Perhaps there is intermittent interferance that is causing your 4G signal to drop instead.  That or the tower/MiFi is underperforming and dropping you due to a hardware failure. 

VZW will most likely swap your SIM card for another one when you stop by the store.  They are also likely to reset your device using a paper clip and the reset button underneath the back cover.  Since your problem is in your house examining the MiFi at the store is not likely to reveal any new information.

Not sure if you can on the 890L but many users report success when disabling IPv6 on the MiFi models.  You could ask the VZW reps to perform those steps for you when you visit them.

0 Likes
jerearms

Excuse me if I didn't see this throughout the thread. I went into the 192.168.1.1 web interface and changed my Time Out from 5 minutes to never. The other option is 30 minutes. I don't know if that will help. It may only be related to being on battery only. I am using my JetPack on electric. It seems that when I have an open inactive connection that it drops. My signal is 4G with 2 bars. When it drops it goes to 3G with 1 bar and a hard reset fixes it.

0 Likes
Mark_Zep

I had the exact same problem.  Talked to Verizon tech support and they said that my SIM card did not show as registered through their network.  This could have been due to a few things but in my case they could not get it to register so I had to get a new card.  I did this at a Verizon store where they replaced the SIM and confirmed it was registered on the netowrk.  Now that it was "recognized", when I brought the JetPak home it even did some kind of software update.  Now things are working great.  So far....No more drop offs!!  So my suggestion is to have a tech confirm your SIM card is registered on their network or get a new SIM card and make sure it has correctly registered in their network.

0 Likes
Illiniwek
Enthusiast - Level 2

See Mark_Zep's response -- this was the exact same thing that happened to me (without the software update):  Verizon told me my SIM card wasn't registered, i took it to a store to get a new card, and it has stayed connected at 4G since then. At the store, they also pulled up my address to confirm that i was in a 4G area and showed me where the closest tower is so i can position the device accordingly.

I wonder if the registration issue is because bought the 890L online instead of through a store and the SIM card wasn't registered effectively online.  I wasn't able to see "messages" on my device until it was registered through the store, either.

Now, on to trying to figure out why that darn thing is churning through data at a rate that is MUCH MUCH MUCH higher than the estimates Verizon provides in its "how much data do i need" calculator...

0 Likes