I have seen numerous discussions as to jetpack data consumption. My new jetpack is adding up way too much data usage. What can be done about this?
roland5219

Why is my jetpack recording an incredible amount of data usage?  I'm getting alerts on a daily basis.  All I do is read email and shop online.  What is Verizon doing about this?  I've used a data calculator and I shouldn't be using a third of what is being billed.  A lot of nasty stuff on these posts.

0 Likes
Re: I have seen numerous discussions as to jetpack data consumption. My new jetpack is adding up way too much data usage. What can be done about this?
2591kobuki

You are not alone, my self have the same issue with my jetpack. Verizon is not doing anything about it. All kind of excuses I have heard.I am sure you did the same.They blame it on the advertisements.

0 Likes
Re: I have seen numerous discussions as to jetpack data consumption.  My new jetpack is adding up way too much data usage.  What can be done about this?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Roland5219,

Thank you for reaching out to us.  I can understand your concerns regarding your data usage.  Data usage is something that we need to closely manage and understand.  It can vary a wide range depending on the types of things that we are utilizing it for.  It is also important to know what our computer is doing, so that there is no unintentional usage.  Do you have any virus protection programs running?  How many devices are connected to the jetpack?  Do you turn the jetpack off when your not using it? 

These details may clarify where the usage is coming from. Thanks

TrevorC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: I have seen numerous discussions as to jetpack data consumption. My new jetpack is adding up way too much data usage. What can be done about this?
tbo27
Master - Level 2

You should hard reset it. Does any of your family use it? Anyone nearby know your pw? You could always change it after the hard reset.  Is that a laptop you connect to? You Could Also Do A System Restore On It To Set It Back To When It Wasn't Potentially Consuming Large Amounts Of Data Although  You Are Not A Heavy user. If none of that works then like rep said power it down when it's not needed.

0 Likes
Re: I have seen numerous discussions as to jetpack data consumption.  My new jetpack is adding up way too much data usage.  What can be done about this?
roland5219

There are two computers using the jetpack.  We use it for email and facebook in the a.m. and then a bit at night after work.  I have been leaving the jetpack on; I will power it down now when I leave for work.  I will do a hard reset.  I will do a system restore (if I can figure it out).  There is no virus software running (to my knowledge).  We leave the computers on but do not have the browser open.  I live in the country, even if my neighbors knew my code they are out of reach (I'm guessing).

Thanks for the replies.  I'll see what happens next.  Rather aggravating to have sign up for 20 gigs a month at that cost and not know if that's going to cover it.  I used 11 gigs in 9 days, which is impossible for what I'm using it for. 

Good grief what do people consume when they're streaming movies?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is our pleasure to assist, roland5219! Facebook just released an update a few months ago that makes all videos in your feed to autoplay. Streaming these videos can and will cause a jump in data. We recommend to change the settings to prevent this data usage. Here is how to turn it off:

On iOS:

Settings>Facebook>Settings>Auto-play on WiFi only

On Android:

Facebook App>App Settings>Video Auto-Play>Change to Wi-Fi only or OFF

On a PC/Desktop Version (for Hotspot/MiFi users😞

Select Settings

Select Videos

Turn Auto-Play Videos OFF

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
roland5219

If I backup all my photos to the cloud will that use data that is associated with the file? I.e., if I have 2 gigs of photos will it take 2 gig of data to send to the cloud?

0 Likes
2591kobuki

Unfortunatelly  yes. Alternative way to save,can you save it to SD card ?

0 Likes
GoodNewz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same here,and my jetpack has been turned off and I also removed the SIM card. However, this morning at approximately 1;30a and 2:30a I get alerts that I am exceeding my data allowance. No one was using data at that time.There is seriously an issue and Verizon needs correct it. I am on the internet less now than I was in previous years  I was also with another internet provider my data never exceeded 6gigs now with Verizon it was recorded that my jetpack used 13gigs in one day; this cannot be correct.     

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> it was recorded that my jetpack used 13gigs in one day; this cannot be correct.

There is a common concern that many wireless users share on this subject.  Unfortunately VZW holds all the cards when it comes to the actual details on what happened resulting with your final billing statement.

The only thing we as consumers can do is try to setup monitors on our own and funnel our internet traffic through those devices/applications.  With a monitor in place there is a better chance that you can identify leaks and stop them before it makes it to your bill.

Keep in mind that data usage has nothing to do with what you are intentionally doing on the internet.  Data usage relates to what is actually happening behind the scenes.  If you, your neighbor, your dog or your toaster is online and consuming internet through your VZW device then VZW will hold you accountable for it.  Its similar to a hose that you turn on in your yard, a utility company doesn't care who did it, they only care that they sent XYZ gallons of water to your residence.  What worked well on your previous provider may not work well on VZW resulting in retries and increased usage for the same actions.

Don't get too hung up on the timestamps that VZW offers you in their alerts or reports. There are all sorts of examples where billing is delayed for various reasons. Use the timestamps as a clue, not as actual evidence that can be relied on during your investigation.