Re: HomeFusion disconnecting 5+ times per day, out 5-10 minutes each time
TexasRebel
Enthusiast - Level 3

yep same thing happening to me.. seems to happen always after midnight.. was down for 15+ minutes.. was playing WOW and boom the connection dropped..

HBA was showing connecting and that's all it did.. Then magically it connected and everything is back up and running..

0 Likes
TexasRebel
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm about to call in and tell them to give me discount for them using a crappy hardware vendor. I'm not supposed to be paying for multiple disconnects per day because of bad firmware and or hardware.

I don't know who designed the HF hardware, but it's horrible. It's basically two routers that are bridged together with very little customization. You can't change the IP subnet, unlike what you can with other routers from other vendors.

The router and radio should have been one box with the Cantenna being a RF amp and highgain antenna. Would have been easier to work with.

Hopefully, the coming firmware update will fix this problem and possibly add more customizing features to the router.. Doubtful thou...

0 Likes
gavin1066

Probably would be better off getting a 3G/4G Jetpack or Mifi and connecting an amp and yagi antenna.

I'd be interested to hear if they provide you any real dates for a possible fix and compensation.

Maybe it's a memory leak in either the router or cantenna code.

Finally, If you're Horde, you deserve the disconnects because of Theramore!

0 Likes
TheThomas
Enthusiast - Level 2

A jetpack is limited to 10 IP adresses, a HomeFusion Router is not limited to 10 so it really depends on how many wireless devices you have at home.  You could set up a Windows or Mac PC as a proxy and then have it "share my Internet connection" which can be done in the OS settings and then have your PC connect to a home WiFi Router and have the Router act as a DCHP server to hand out addresses.  Your PC would have to be on all the time, which costs $ in energy.   

Or Verizon could just fix their problem and not put the burden on you to jump through these hoops.

0 Likes
TucsonOne

Conclusion:    Verizon HomeFusion Problems - Product Inoperable

Observations from 22 Days of Verizon & Homeowner Efforts

Dates:  Jan 17- Feb 6, 2013

Location: Tucson, AZ near Prince Rd & Soldier Trail Rd, stated by Verizon to be “in a very good 4G zone for reception, one mile from the cell phone tower supplying the 4G service”

Sales: Verizon store personnel didn’t know how to complete sales documentation, having sold very few units

Installation: well-trained, responsive, polite installer

The Cantenna: four different ones were replaced, all but one failed to maintain an internet connection longer than 12 hours, breaking connection (and failing to reconnect until power cycled via unplugging) up to eight times a day

The Router: twice replaced, no observations

The Tech Support:

- multiple failed attempts stopped cold at the Verizon main phone number (disconnected, wrong extension, Spanish language, etc.)

- first level technical personnel could offer only two interventions:  unplug the cantennae or unplug the cable router; they had no other information available of any kind

- second level technical support were surly and had no further assistance

- third level (“trouble ticket”) personnel had access to the network functioning in the area but their interventions were also limited to hardware replacement or rebooting; they pointed towards ‘a drive around’ to access 4G reception in the area but could not schedule same within install time frames, ‘or for several weeks’

- when asked the third time via different technical support personnel, the Company agreed to extend the 14 day window of free use of the product for another 14 days; customer ended effort at 22 days having no confidence in the product nor the technical support and having spent nearly thirty hours trouble-shooting the devices

The Internet Connection:

- speeds as advertised, but wildly variable on ping, download and upload, and showing many spikes on Speedtest.net graphs suggesting poor connections; no Verizon personnel had access to devices nor online data that could pinpoint and remedy the problems

ALL PRODUCTS RETURNED - CONTRACT CANCELLED

0 Likes
TexasRebel
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sounds like your area isn't really serviced very well by 4G/LTE. I'm curious if you ever noticed when you were disconnected that the HF router was blinking the amber light all the time or was it blinking red.

Blinking amber light is a representation that registration has failed on the 4G/LTE network. Possibly because the 4G/LTE tower is not communicating well back to the 4G/LTE network itself.

Blinking red light means the HF router can't talk to Cantenna, which if you had to go through 4 Cantennas to get a connection, it sounds like a bad coax between the router and cantenna or the power injection module is bad and not supplying a good solid voltage..

I had a outage for over 6 hours on Tuesday evening, but noticed that my AT&T 4G iPhone5 was displaying no service as well. It was like the tower that held both AT&T and Verizon gear was down. They both came backup at the same time at nearly 2am.

Just my take..

0 Likes
jonusko

As I have posted before, a blinking amber does not mean a bad thing. I live far from any tower in a mountainous area. My HF only has two or three connection bars and only blinks amber, never green. It drops the connection once every 7 to 10 days. It was more frequent in November. The download speed is generally 6-9Mb. When slow it is around 4Mb. The highest was 16Mb. Other than the occasional disconnect and price, I love the service.

0 Likes
TucsonOne

Thanks TexasRebel for your technical speculations. In one exchange you have offered more consideration and ideas to trouble-shoot than the 15 technical support calls and 3 on-site visits did.

The fundamental problem seems that the vendor, Verizon, fails to fully understand its complex product, or if doing so, fails to inform and empower the technical efforts to get and keep the product functioning. Had there been an immediate and persistent response to the disconnection problem, we might have become a real customer, over many years.

Perhaps after they note the loss of income from disgruntled possible customers (10,000 customers not purchasing 10 years of service @ $1200 a year = $120 million) they'll invest in their product and its support team.

Better yet -- a superior competitor will roll-out a functioning version of 'wireless Internet service.'

Apple?   Are you listening....??

0 Likes
TexasRebel
Enthusiast - Level 3

I only get a blinking amber light when the LTE connection drops from the cantenna, which means it's a VZW network problem. Otherwise it blinks green all the other times.. Occasionally, it will blink red which means the HF router has lost communication with the cantenna. Probably because of firmware glitches in both the router and cantenna.

I've said it before that this setup is horrendous!!! It's (2) routers that are bridged together, whereas it should just be that the LTE radio and router should be in one enclosure and the cantenna is just a active antenna array with 1-2 watts of power. Whoever thought up this design really didn't take the simplest way to get this product to market.

I'm going to take a wild guess that the reason some people are having connection drops is because the tower they are connected to is not configured right. Some are lucky to have a fiber connection to their tower and others have a microwave backhaul connection, which is line of sight to the next tower that might have a fiber connection or it could as well be a microwave backhaul. I guess it really depends on how really far out in the sticks your at.

Your cantenna is probably getting great signal, but the LTE network is out of sync and thus causes a connection drop. Everytime my connection drops, it's like the DNS/DHCP server I was communicating to, just went offline.

Oh well who really knows.. Most of these giant corporations are filled to the brim with stupid people. The only ones you can sorta depend on that know what's going on are the actual engineers that work on the towers.

0 Likes
scott21
Contributor - Level 2

That is not what is causing this my tower is hooked up to fiber and mine was doing same as other. It's just a bad firmware nothing else my opinion . and there gonna push the update end of feb/ early march.

0 Likes