Re: HomeFusion Ghost Data Explosion
Maggie44

I found this thread, and I'm not sure this is the proper place to post 'cause I'm totally turned around trying to navigate the Verizon's 'community'

We also live in a rural area with limited isp options. We currently have HughesNet satellite (barely a step up from dial-up) but haven't migrated to their faster 'Gen-4' plan. The Verizon salesperson said we were in the 4G area and suggested HomeFusion. When the installer came he couldn't get a good signal for the cantenna although we both showed LTE on our phones. So, I'm now trying the MiFi going on two days now. Good speed, when the connection is good, but the wireless reach isn't so good.

Please help me with the following questions/concerns:

• I'm still confused as to why the preferred method is HF. What's the advantage over MiFi?
  • I'm hesitant to sign a 2 year MiFi contract if HF will be a better choice in a few months when the coverage is better.
  • All of the ghost data issues are making me leery of signing on to HF as well. We're not used to doing a lot of downloading since our current service is not good for that. I really don't want to constantly be unplugging everything

Any help to clarify these issues is appreciated.

0 Likes
BillH442

I feel your pain with HughesNet as I had WildBlue!

HomeFusion uses an external antenna which should theoretically give you better reception and performance. Think rabbit ears vs. regular TV antenna.

Which is a better choice? I guess that depends on your needs. Verizon data caps both devices but my MiFi device works when HF doesn't so I feel it's a bit more reliable at this time. If the promised fixes are put in place, then I think HF will be the better choice. The wireless router provides a much larger range than the MiFi does. I have the router on my 2nd floor and I still have good signal in the basement. And the router has settings I can configure to reserve IP addresses for my wireless printers so I don't have to reconfigure my printer settings after a power outage. But the MiFi is portable so you can take it with you.

While I'm not having the ghost data issue you saw, I would be extremely hesitant to sign a contract on any device until that issue is explained and resolved. Unfortunately I don't think Verizon support will be able to help you identify the cause of that problem.

0 Likes
Maggie44

Thanks for the information. Is there a way to boost the router signal on MiFi?

One more question-Any idea as to why the HF installer couldn't get a good 4G signal (tower 3 miles away) for the cantenna when the phones and MiFi can get it. Seems odd if the cantenna is suppose to get better reception.

0 Likes
BillH442

As the transmitting antenna is built into the MiFi device, there's no way I know of to boost it's output signal.

According to Verizon I have three 4G towers within 3-7 miles radius, yet often have no Home Fusion service according to the router diagnostics. But I can stand almost directly under the Cantenna and have 3-4 bars of 4G service on my phone. At the moment there seems to be several issues with the Home Fusion system that Verizon says will be addressed "very soon". Until these issues are fixed, I have a very hard time recommending the Home Fusion service.

0 Likes
alsanders
Enthusiast - Level 1

"At the moment there seems to be several issues with the Home Fusion  system that Verizon says will be addressed "very soon". Until these  issues are fixed, I have a very hard time recommending the Home Fusion  service."

If you don't mind me asking...  Who told you that Verizon - 1. acknowledged a problem.  & 2. are working on a fix?  I have never heard any Verizon representative officially acknowledge they had any problems with HF.  Don't get me wrong, I hope they are serious about fixing ALL of the problems pointed out in this forum.  But past experience (IMO) has shown that Verizon has bothered listening to their customers. 

gjk8

I have only had HomeFusion for 3 days.  I looked at my data usage right before the installer left and it showed I had used 1.5GB!  After watching one standard streaming movie, it showed I had used 4.5GB!  I watched one more Netflix movie and now it shows I have used 7.5GB!  I called afer one day and still have not heard from Verizon.  I don't know how they are measuring the data.  It can't be correct.  I have a daughter that has ComCast and streams movies, plays games, etc. all the time because she doesn't have cable or Direct TV and she usually uses around 20GB/month.  At the rate I'm going, I maybe could watch 3 Netflix standard stream movies (Not HD) and would already use 10GB or possibly more.  I'm going to have to cancel the HomeFusion because of the data problems.  It's not worth the money.  It really is ashame they can't have a cap of around 200GB like ComCast.  They would get a lot more customers.  Also, I put in the data reminders to be texted and emailed when I reached 50%, 75%, etc. and I haven't received any texts or emails and I have gone over 50% and have reached 75%.  It works great with my phone.  I'm not sure what's going on with Verizon but I am one unhappy customer!

0 Likes
gooseking
Enthusiast - Level 2

>> Duplicate post removed for cross-posting violations per the

See for original message <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
jmb37

Good luck with turning it off! Mine has been turned off for 3 days and it still showed usage. This is really irritating!

0 Likes
jmb37

This has happened to me as well! I have called several times and talked to techinical support,but they could not give me an answer. They were going to check into it and call me back when I kept questioning. Needless to say, I have never heard back from them and they will not give me a direct number to call them back. They definitely don't have a problem charging me the $10/gb overage. I just can't comprehend how one can go from 5-6 GB/month to 13-18 GB/month and never change how the system is used. I am even charged large amounts when no one is even home to use the service and all wireless devices are off. I use my cell phone service much more than home service and the data usage is no where close to the home fusion! I just want someone to give me answers!!!!

0 Likes
anonymouslurker
Contributor - Level 1

gjk8 wrote:

I have only had HomeFusion for 3 days.  I looked at my data usage right before the installer left and it showed I had used 1.5GB!  After watching one standard streaming movie, it showed I had used 4.5GB!  I watched one more Netflix movie and now it shows I have used 7.5GB!

That sounds about right. Netflix can use up to 2.3 GB per HOUR. I'm not sure why people think streaming movies use so little data. Even music streaming can use a lot of data. Streaming something like Pandora for just 3 hours a day would use 5 GB in a month. Sorry but even on the 30 GB plan HomeFusion is only good for maybe a few streaming movies a month.

0 Likes