Re: HomeFusion Ghost Data Explosion
Not applicable

cyclonewoody wrote:

Just got HF installed 5 days ago and already used 2.5GB of data which is ridiculous. No gaming, no streaming, nothing like that, basic web browsing only. Something fishy is definetly going on.

2.5 GB over 5 days is nothing for a home internet connection. So no, nothing fishy about that. That's only 500 MB in a day. You do realize that webpages now-a-days can be several MB each easy. Heck last month for us was a slow month and we used 170 GB. That's 5.7 GB per day. Seriously if you think that 15 GB a month is excessive for a home internet connection you need to educate yourself. Heck just leaving a connection on and never using it can use 5 GB  a month.

Not applicable

Yes it's true. I have a friend that lives less than 5 miles away. No cable no DSL. His only choices are satellite or HomeFusion or dial-up.

0 Likes
Not applicable

LeeRN wrote:

Pardon me, ...I just received the flyer in the mail today, advertising this 4G - LTE HomeFusion.  ...ummm, I (seriously) mean this in the best possible way, but, ...what are you doing!!!???  Mannn, ...They are metering your Internet data usage in your home!!!!!  Ya know???, like they do on cell phones only since last year!!!!

What would possess you or anyone here to sign-up for such a rip!!???  Helloooooo...!!!  Internet has NEVER been metered!!!

Really? Most ISPs do actually have caps.

I have Charter they have a 250 GB cap, Comcast has 300 GB cap. Cox 250 GB cap. At&t U-verse 250 GB cap $10 for additional 50 GB overage. At&t DSL 150 GB cap $10 for additional $50 overage. Yes these caps are higher but they are caps none the less. Satellite internet has caps. Low caps too. And HomeFusion caps are right along the lines of satellite which are the same customers Verizon would be fighting over. Obviously anyone that can get cable or DSL internet would. HomeFusion could not support unlimited data. If they did have unlimited data you would be complaining that you 4G LTE connection was connecting at dial-up speeds.

scott21
Contributor - Level 2

Actually they could handle unlimited Its called traffic shaping, but we wont see unlimted for a very long time if ever. But i do see them raising HF caps soon. and there not just going after sat. In some places HF smokes cable and dsl. I said some places not all.

Like where i live HF i get 33 to 51 down yes i got that today 51 down. but i avg 25-33 down and 15 up hell cable  in some places can;t get that.

0 Likes
germantown
Enthusiast - Level 2

to adnott.. Are you very sure you have wireless security for WPA2 enabled in the router and nobody else unknowingly is using your wifi off of your device and  "gulping" your data? I have purposely but also to have fun playing with other wi-fi people renamed my w-fi connection SSID:  "CIA": keeping security enabled for WPA2.

To Check:

Go to http://192.168.1.254 your routers web GUI interface and go to the wireless setting tab / wireless status and look down this web page to make sure security is showing enabled "yes" on your router. good luck!

Also, I agree with the posts regarding the usage statements. I  have been close trial monitoring daily and hourly internet usage for a few weeks (per Verizons downloadable usage data Excel Spreadsheet) showing data usage breakdown by hour,  so i can get a more precise handle on just how much data is typically is being used for various downloading or uploading; example: standard def tv show vs high def movies vs youtube usage vs just web surfing email.. I also will be gone on vacation for a few days and plan to disconnect the router while i am gone so expecting to see close to or near to near "0" on bytes being used.

Summary: Home Fusion Broadband is not intended for serious streaming media downloading of movies or file sharing servers etc .for these 10 or 20 GB plans.  One had better look elsewhere for other broadband options, but no necc. you in particular.

Hope you find your problem and double check your wireless security is enabled.

0 Likes
jcneal
Enthusiast - Level 2

<Duplicated post deleted for cross posting violations per the .  See here for the original message.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
jcneal
Enthusiast - Level 2

I must say I'm baffled and alarmed by the speed with which my new HomeFusion gobbles up GBs, especially when everyone is asleep and/or the router is turned off! I'm 6 days into my 20GB limit and have already used up nearly 15 GB, not doing anything different online than with my MiFi device. Customary usage with MiFi was roughly 17 GBs a month. Overnight usages two nights when the HomeFusion router was on amounted to O.89 GB and 0.63 GB, even though both laptops and the wireless printer were turned off. So the next night I decided to turn the router off as well and that night the data report showed O.46 GB of usage. The next day the report showed 0.35 GB of usage even though the router had yet to be turned on. What's up with that? I'm still within the 14-day period so I'm monitoring usage daily - the router is turned off except for brief periods of use. Yesterday I turned it on for only one hour and two of us used laptops for email and web-browsing. In that one hour, the data report showed 0.463 GB of usage!  That's almost half a GB! By comparison, we've returned to using the MiFi device for much of the past three days and have used only 0.416 GB. There's just no explaining the way HomeFusion gobbles up the GBs. Although I love the speed and have had good connectivity, I'll be returning the HomeFusion router before the 14-day period is up if this issue can't be resolved. There must be better options out there for me, as HomeFusion's data-reporting technology obviously needs some work. As it is, it would require too much monitoring of data usage and turning on and off in order to avoid overage fees. And with the pesky "ghost" usage, I might not even succeed. Besides, I have better things to do with my time, which is why I wanted 4G in the first place.

0 Likes
scott21
Contributor - Level 2

WOW, 6 days ? ouch. i have had HF since may, 2012. And have never had that problem.

P.S. I like to add that i keep mine on 24/7

0 Likes
scott21
Contributor - Level 2

Most home isp as well are using meters there just bigger caps.

0 Likes
BillH442

Something sounds wrong there for sure. I use about 10 Gb per month. I have 3 computers and an X-Box on it and run 24x7. I use it at least 9-10 hours a day for work with VPN, WebEx, email, some web surfing, and an occasional video or two. At night my family browses, Facebooks, and plays internet games.

I've found the data usage reporting updates are erratic. For example, I downloaded a 500Mb file and checked my usage reports. That spike didn't show up until a day later. Yet when I did it again, it showed up in about 2 hours. Turning the router off doesn't stop communication between the tower and Cantenna which counts as "data" - although .35Gb of data between the tower and Cantenna overnight would be ridiculously high. I'd suggest checking your usage until you see an update happen, then unplug both the router and Cantenna. I'd expect to see an update for data used between the time of the last update and when you unplugged, then no change after that. Then plug just the Cantenna in and not the router and wait several hours. If the next update shows .35 Gb of data consumed over just a few hours, I'd report that as an issue.

0 Likes