Re: Excess data usage with Mi-Fi
prettyppam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey, Ridge Rider!

I'm still trying to sort this all out.  The Exec I talked to FINALLY on Xmas eve suggested some program linked to on their web site that I later found out my Mom uses, but it is NOT real time.  (Verizon Access Manager)  So, basically, it is worthless.  Dad FINALLY has computer back from Best Buy... boy what a run around there!!!  'Can't be fixed', 'can be (they forgot to upgrade drivers)', 'you need 700$ new computer', 'no, a 300$ one will do.'  Old computer, new hard drive with unrecognizable icons, etc.  Struggling to make it work like before!

Don't you love the comments that if a tracking program is 'free' it is suspect!!!  SO, Why doesn't VZ offer a few $$ per month TRACKING software... GEEZ!!!!  It must not be 'profitable.'

SO, I went to VZ store today to try to resolve the phone that was taken from monthly and created as a contract phone by a guy now fired by the VZ distributor he worked for.  They expect me to pay 130$ to shut it down!!   The guy today used all kinds of excuses to not help.  Basically ushered me out of the store and I WAS NOT causing a scene.  I did complain that I wasn't getting my voice messages when they were sent and he tried to claim I was in dead areas, etc.  SO, he 'reprograms the phone'  *228 I think....  claiming that needed to be done AFTER global use.  I always had called BEFORE global use for the programming and when I called VZ to turn off global once back in the US, NO ONE EVER SAID I had to call to reprogram back to the US.  He is claiming that is the reason I had terrible connection in Summit County CO and why voice messages were being dropped.  NEVER MIND the phone has worked during all this, in 'dead' areas, etc and the battery usage has been stable.  I think I got another load of VZ BS today. 

And so it goes!!!  IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT CAN GIVE YOU THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH?????   I don't think so.

0 Likes
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

Hey, PP. I got an email from Verizon saying you had approved me but I still can't send you a direct message. Verizon is playing games. Same with lots of other posters.

Wade

<< Information removed to comply with >>

Specifically:

Users of the Verizon Wireless Community agree not to upload, post, or otherwise transmit any content (including but not limited to text, links, communications, software, images, sounds, data, or other information) that includes any of the following inappropriate content:

• Any personal information belonging either to the poster or another person, such as full name, address, phone number, personal email address, and trouble ticket repair numbers;
  • Spam, such as advertisements for other web sites and services, or other commercial solicitation; chain letters, or pyramid schemes;

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Cross-posting and posting personal info. is against the Terms of Service for this forum.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I thought the Supreme Court ruling changed the rules on class actions suits and companies can make a policy change to keep people from filing class action suits.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-57403475-266/why-you-cant-sue-your-wireless-carrier-in-a-class-act...

0 Likes
suelit

Today I received my Verizon bill for my WiFi Hot Spot.  Boy was I shocked.  Verizon charged me for 9 GB of Data.  As of 9:00 p.m. the night before my cycle period ended I was only at 5.8 GB. Our Household went to bed. Did we use 3 GB of data in our sleep. How is this even possible? I kept close watch over my data on the my verizon site as I had never gone over monthly data allowance before.  Since my allowance was 5.0GB, and I noticed I had already gone over, I checked my verizon website everyday to keep any eye on on the data I was using, I was trying to keep under 6MB.  I thought I did and according to the estimate verizon website gave me I did I was at 5.8.  This is the first month of billing with MIFI Hotspot.  What a shocker 9GB data!!!   What could habe happened???

Verizon rep. kept referring to the data usage on their site as only an estimate.  Beware:  Estimates of Verizon's data usage may be 3 GB off. After inquiring about details of usage they just said everything looked to be in order.  What a sham!!!!  Of course the rep kept referring to their increase data plan.  What a salesman!!

0 Likes
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

Welcome to Verizon hell, suelit.

About the only thing you can do, as of now, is file an FCC complaint, write Daniel S. Mead, President and CEO of Verizon Wireless at One Verizon Way, Basking Ridge, NJ 07920-1025.

You can also keep calling and listen to Verizon's service reps continually tell you that Verizon is not at fault and your sleeping family is the problem.

I have contacted a law firm here in Alabama trying to get some action, but so far they are investigating and say it will be 90 days before they are through. That letter was dated Dec. 19, 2012.

Contact every one you know on the social media sites and tell them your story. I don't think anyone in America believes that a company like Verizon could be allowing such terrible customer relations except the ones of us who have experienced it. Go to the other links and share your experience. Wade

prettyppam
Enthusiast - Level 3

There is NO customer service.  NOT ONE of them ever followed up on my issue, NOT one.  Promises, disgust about how you are treated, and then... someone puts the screws to them... and they are gone as well.

0 Likes
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

True, Pam.

It is so hard to keep up with the individual cases of excess user fraud Verizon is responsible for, and living your life, that I have given up on Verizon helping. I have pretty much given up on any attorneys helping, even though it would seem to be financially profitable for them. But, I remain open to other possibilities.

Being an ultra conservative I only watch Fox News. They are the best of a bad lot, and that's not saying much. But I have noticed a new program being started on their early morning program. I'm going to send them some URLs like this one, and a few of the others, to see if they might be interested.

The only way we will get some action on our grievances with Verizon is to get them some publicity. Wade

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

RidgeRider wrote:

I have pretty much given up on any attorneys helping, even though it would seem to be financially profitable for them. But, I remain open to other possibilities.

Since you remain open to other possibilities, it COULD be these attorneys don't see it as being financially profitable. They MAY think you don't have a case. I am assuming here, but you probably don't want to fork over a hefty retainer(quite possibly thousands of dollars) to these attorneys in order for them to start this case and the attorneys probably don't think they would make enough in a settlement(or judgement) to even cover their costs. THIS could possibly be the reason you can't find an attorney. THIS is the only possible reason I can think why you can't seem to find an attorney to take your case. Especially if it IS a case with merit.

Not saying you don't have a case, but others(including the attorneys you have contacted) may not have the same opinion.

0 Likes
slowreb

I don't have another possibility.  After harrassing the cable providers for a year to try and get better than 2gb DSL to my semi-rural house with no results, Verizon became my only option.  Everything happened consistent with the other experiences on this post:  underestimating the data usage for my family, the lure of "free" installation, and the ensuing panicky phone call to Verizon of, "Why is my data usage 15Gb after being connected just a week???  You said 10Gb should be fine based on your estimates, plus the "free" extra 5Gb for the first month should be a good cushion???"  The response was, "Are you using an XBox - those things eat up a lot of data.  Would you like me to up your plan to 20Gb so you don't get overage charges?"  So I can pay $2000 to run a hard line cable to my house, or get shafted by Verizon for the next 10 years until Congress finally wakes up and declares metered data usage unconstitutional. 

First thing- XBox?  Really?  1Gb per hour is what I am seeing on my data usage on MyVerizon.  I put every device on my network on a network sniffer EXCEPT the Xbox because that was NEVER mentioned as being an issue by the Sales guy at Verizon OR by their online estimator:

OnlineGamingUsage.jpg

If my teen is playing 4 hours of online games per day he's flunking school -- there's no way -- and even if he was it would be less than 1Gb per MONTH.  According to the Verizon usage report its over 1Gb per HOUR.  So 4hrs per day is going to be more like 120Gb per month.  So Verizon's estimates aren't just 3Gb off - they are 119Gb off. 

I'll be monitoring the XBox to see if it really is generating that much traffic.  After the other posts here I am skeptical and I feel confident the Verizon data counters are inflated.    Lawyers can't make the necessary changes -- contact your Senators and Representatives at the state and federal level.   We need to get metered data usage thrown out.

0 Likes