Re: Excess data usage with Mi-Fi
Redhen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem.  It is good to know I'm not alone.  I noticed that I'm supposedly using bandwidth in the middle of the night, all night when the computer is off.  I've started turning off the hotspot when not on the Internet.  This billing cycle's usage is not visible to me, so I can't check to see if I'm still billed for usage when all is turned off.  Odd?

I've got a secure, password protected connection.  'Live in the middle of a farm, so not close enough for anyone to be hacking in.  I do not have many choices when it comes to Internet connection and for years have not used more than 5 GB per billing cycle.  There seems to be no way to prove usage for the consumer.  Has anyone contacted the FCC about this problem?

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

You can contact VZW to get a full usage report at any time. 

Once you get the data report you can see the timestamps of the various internet sessions.  If you can find times where you are getting billed for usage and your MiFi is turned off then you have a case. Otherwise as long as the MiFi is turned on and devices are connected you are liable for any internet usage they incur, even if your devices are updating automatically without your knowledge.

I'd suggest you continue with your current idea of turning off the MiFi when the MiFi is not in use. 

0 Likes
DRH7654
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got the newest version of the Jetpack.  I'm in the boondocks of Colorado with an external antenna, get five bars -60dBm and it took five minutes to load this page. I'm in a 3G area.

I'm getting throttled.

For two years I got perfect fast performance with a USB760 and external antenna.  Then two years to the date my speeds went to dial-up.

Now I'm getting one good week, one SLOW week.

I have a 5GB program and have never used 5GB.  Last month I used 3.8 GB. 

This is just unacceptable.  I never know when it is going to work correctly.

I don't believe anything Verizon says.  Had a family member that worked in customer service and that family member quit because got tired of lying to customers on a daily basis.

sodone
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, there is another discussion on this site where several have filed formal complaints for fraudulent billing with the FCC. I know that the FCC is reading these reports as I have had verizon executive secretary contact me telling me that it is in regards to a complaint the FCC received from me. The more reports filed, the better the chances of Verizon being held accountable for not launching full blown investigations into this matter when the issues were first brought to their attention.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/908907#908907

that is the link to the other discussion. good luck with your situation

0 Likes
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

Not available in my area either. And satellite service is terrible.

0 Likes
clayman
Enthusiast - Level 1

some of us have no other options as we live in rural areas.

0 Likes
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

Yeah. I downloaded NetWorx because of your suggestion. To date it shows vast differences between what it displays and what Verizon shows. Verizon's is much higher. From Dec. 24 to Jan 2 my total on NetWorx up and down was 802.8 MB. I took out Jan. 3 usage because it is continuing. I will go back and count Verizon's usage total and will report the difference.

I also noticed that two days after Christmas Verizon showed me with no data usage. NetWorx, however did. Then a few days later, I checked again. This time Verizon showed me with usage. Obvious timing problem(s). Can this contribute to excess data usages?

Do not track me is a free blocking program. Do a search. While reading these posts again I clicked on it. It said I had 8680 blocks to date, the last being Verizonwireless.com! Facebook is also very bad about trying to track you. Wade

0 Likes
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

I compared Verizon's data usage and NetWorx data usage in MBs for the 24th of December, 2012, to January 02, 2013.

The NetWorx was on and tracking on the 23rd of December, but didn't get a whole days usage, so I threw that day out. I also did not use today's figures because it is on-going.

Verizon usage:

12/24     349.38

12/25     202.29

12/26      36.16

12/27     243.08

12/28     340.24

12/29     232.6

12/30     200.3

12/31     289.06

01/01     127.9

01/02     112.87

Total    2246.85

NetWorx usage:

12/24     249.0

12/25      94.3

12/26      37.4

12/27      56.2

12/28     120.0

12/29      30.2

12/30      36.1

12/31      33.1

01/01      48.0

12/02      85.5

Total     875.3

Anyone know why the differences? Anybody ever check NetWorx's figures with another data counter program? Wade

0 Likes
RidgeRider
Contributor - Level 3

Hey, I didn't know there were so many complaints against data overage charges. Take a look at this thread:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/785730?start=0&tstart=0

Wade

0 Likes
prettyppam
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are RIGHT ON!!!   Between Verizon, Best Buy and Web Root, NO ONE except Web Root has followed up as promised.  Best buy has had my Dad's computer - the culprit - for 3 of the last 4 weeks and I think he is there AGAIN, X3 today!! trying to get his computer functional after all their 'Geeking.'  The problem of MASSIVE data usage started the MINUTE the computer was fixed by Best Buy... OF COURSE, 'how can you prove it was us???'   Fingers pointing everywhere by persons who really don't know their business.  Verizon has not been ANY help in resolving this.  Their Exec claimed they'd get with their 'partner' Best Buy...  but, I've got no evidence of any true action here.  Only response I got was AFTER I filed an FCC complaint.  They did give a credit which is appreciated, but I would SERIOUSLY like to see them take this problem by the horns and QUIT BLAMING THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!  I've been given so many bum steers by them and now, I'm a hot potato and no one seems to be able to help me or give answers at all, etc.  At least, they won't be flat out lying and making false promises any longer.  Even their EXEC office told me to try a program of theirs to monitor data, but it is NOT real time and therefore pretty useless.