EVDO connection is on or off?
Reddeuce

I have a UM175 usb modem that I use on my HP laptop when I stay at my cabin in the mountains. I'm in the boonies and use a cellphone booster to get service. Without the booster I get 1-2 bars signal strength, with it I always get 3-4 bars and good 1XRTT service. What's unusual is that about 50% of the time my modem will find EVDO service, and I register the same 3-4 bars on VZAM. Obviously I'd rather have this service as it's 10-20 times faster than 1XRTT. Can anybody tell me why it only shows up half the time? Is there a setting I can change somewhere to get it 100% of the time?  Is it a network or tower issue that limits my connection, or maybe a signal strength thing? It seems the best time to get the EVDO service is first thing in the morning. I'm really curious about this because I'm trying to decide my best option for permanent cabin internet access. If I can get the EVDO service I'll stick will Verizon. If not I'm going to have to go satellite.   Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: EVDO connection is on or off?
thepres69
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your signal is probably weak... There are several things you can try to get the signal "good enough" to lock on to Rev-A but it will require some tinkering. There is allot of information on the web under 3Gstore and EVDO forums. I have been able to help several folks get better signal my installing a USB extension cord to the Modem and relocating it as high as possible and near a window. I have also utilized a reflector made out of tin foil and cardboard to help increase the signal to noise level.

I use a router connected to the modem and utilize a home made antenna via adapters. This way I just log onto the router via wireless but if you are on a limited plan this makes it difficult to monitor usage since I never see the usage screen because vz access manager never runs on my computer. I hope this helps.

0 Likes
Re: EVDO connection is on or off?
Reddeuce

Thanks for the response. I'll do some research on the forums you mentioned.

Just curious, what type of router do you have that has a USB port on it? I'd love to install a wireless web cam to be able to monitor the cabin remotely. I figured I'd have to get a mifi access point, but I'd love to keep my current USB modem if I can make it work through a router.

0 Likes