Re: 5GB Limit. Really?
OneBitterOldMan

I just got my bill and went over the 5 gig by 111 mb. They told me it was from the last billing cycle but didn't come in soon enough to get billed. So I was dinged  $27.75, that is being hit at 25 cents a mb. I told her that I was on the 5 cents a mb plan which would be billed at  $5.55 and not $27.75. She looked it up and said yes ,I had switched to that plan in November. Now all of a sudden this rolled in from October and I'm not eligible for the that.  If they can't keep track of my usage from month to month how am I suppose to ? That **bleep** usage thing is all but worthless ,it shows the usage from 3 to 5 days previous I"m surprised  there isn't" more complaints about over usage.  5 gig a month is not enough but I could live with it if I had a fighting chance with my usage being more current, Getting hit now for something that happened in October is wrong., if they want to ding me 25cents a mb over They should have billed when it happened. I think getting hit now they should honor my .05 cents plan.  If you are on the 25cent plan you can call them and request that you want to go to the 5cent a mb plan when you go over the usage

0 Likes
Sirreel
OneBitterOldMan said: " Getting hit now for something that happened in October is wrong." You got that right. How did they explain the lag between the alleged overuse and billing? I was surprised, too, when I got a bill for an unreported overuse in November that showed up on December's bill. It was for data used on the last two days of the billing cycle. Those two days then showed up on my usage for the next billing cycle, so I was adding that into December's usage. I didn't know what the heck was going on and, after I got my bill, I'm guessing that's what was intended. That's right about when I started crabbing about limits and overuse charges on this forum. Verizon has to be reading these posts. They'd be crazy not to. So tell 'em what you think. They've been good about not censoring complaints. I like that.
0 Likes
MidnightStar1

WOW!!!

I was thinking about getting a mini netbook but now I'm not so sure about it

A 5GB cap. Huh. Not for me. I'd use that in about a week or less.

VZW should not sell a device with such limited plans. They need to make it unlimited.

If they can't hang with the increased bandwidth then they should stick to phones

I have comcast & get unlimited usage for $56.00 a month. Who said wireless was cheaper???

As far as wireless mobile the broadband plans do not seem worth it to me

The netbooks were meant to be portable so you could use them where ever you go but with only 5GB how much could you really accomplish?

When I started reading this post I thought someone was just using the cheapest plan but I see thats not the case. Gotta say I am disappointed. Was ready to surf the web mobile email etc.... Hum:smileysad: 

0 Likes
Not applicable

5 GB is plenty for the intended purpose.  It is not meant to be your primary, at home, internet source for game playing and downloading music and videos, etc.  It is intended to be a supplement to use when you are traveling away from home.

0 Likes
MidnightStar1

I am well aware of this & I already have two computers at home to handle home usage

When I am away from home I would need well more then 5GB of usage. I use PCs as tools not toys plus I do not do gaming.  I was hoping that the mini netbook would provide me the capability to handle what I do which are necessities not downloading music which I also do not do, but the mini netbook cannot accommodate me for my needs.

I am a caregiver & I need access to lots of medical records, MRIs CTs X-rays & other important medical data on demand plus be able to email physicians frequently, email work, email medical insurance companies, as well as go to a world of medical related web sites, order meds from pharmacies on line, browse medical equipment sites, send & receive faxes, wireless printing etc... etc...

Would like to do all this & more on a netbook/mobile. Would have saved me a ton of time.

I need a small mobile wireless device capable of all this & much more. Still waiting. I could probably do all this on a netbook but I would go broke paying the overage fees.

Aside from the caregiver job while I am at my other job I would like to monitor my web site as well, plus catch up on all I miss while being a care giver. I also broadcast global weather data via the web every 2.5 seconds from my personal weather station to orgs like NOAA.  I need to monitor this daily & frequently. My station goes down or my software stops updating no one gets my data & I send to 4 different weather orgs. I do all of this & more daily so I think you can see now 5GB would simply be not enough. I think its a great idea. Just need more GB. An unlimited plan would be a problem solver for me

0 Likes
Sirreel

jimfitzgerald wrote:

5 GB is plenty for the intended purpose.  It is not meant to be your primary, at home, internet source for game playing and downloading music and videos, etc.  It is intended to be a supplement to use when you are traveling away from home.

Declaring 5 GB is plenty doesn't make it so, even if the rest of the comment is true. That's a judgment call on jimfitzgerald's part. You need not believe him. I, for one, having used this service since last April, don't think 5 GB is plenty of data for $60 a month. That's a judgment call on my part and you need not believe me either.  However, that 5 GB limit is no judgment call, it's a fact we are forced to live with. One should  compare your own intended use against the 5 GB limit to see if the service is going to suit you. One problem with that is, having switched from a dial-up connection to broadband, I could not have accurately predicted what my data usage would be, even after being advised by Verizon of what they intended their service should be used for. The increased speed opened new avenues while the 5 GB limit leaves no gas in the tank with which to explore them. It is a bit frustrating.

Verizon may intend for it to be a supplemental service but for many it is the only fast internet available to them. May as well examine reality rather than intentions. For those people, 5 GB is not enough.    Considering downloading a copy of 64-bit Win7 ?   At  2.9 GB you'd better think twice. Even the download of XP compatibility mode to use in Win7 was over 500 MB, or 10% of the monthly allotment. It seems like the 5 GB limit doesn't jibe with the size of the files one encounters these days. It probably was quite a bit of data a few years ago, but 5 GB doesn't go very far these days. So, I complain, and I don't particularly care to be reminded by someone who apparently has all the fast internet access he needs that he thinks 5 GBs is plenty for us poor slobs who only have Verizon.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I never said or implied that 5 GB is plenty of capacity as your only internet connection.  I said as a supplement to your primary source it is plenty, and I stand by that.  If you are trying to use Verizon Broadband as your only internet connection or to run a business, it is not adaquate, nor is it intended to be.  You have a problem that is not up to Verizon to solve.

0 Likes
Not applicable

MidnightStar1 wrote:

I am well aware of this & I already have two computers at home to handle home usage

When I am away from home I would need well more then 5GB of usage. I use PCs as tools not toys plus I do not do gaming.  I was hoping that the mini netbook would provide me the capability to handle what I do which are necessities not downloading music which I also do not do, but the mini netbook cannot accommodate me for my needs.

I am a caregiver & I need access to lots of medical records, MRIs CTs X-rays & other important medical data on demand plus be able to email physicians frequently, email work, email medical insurance companies, as well as go to a world of medical related web sites, order meds from pharmacies on line, browse medical equipment sites, send & receive faxes, wireless printing etc... etc...

Would like to do all this & more on a netbook/mobile. Would have saved me a ton of time.

I need a small mobile wireless device capable of all this & much more. Still waiting. I could probably do all this on a netbook but I would go broke paying the overage fees.

Aside from the caregiver job while I am at my other job I would like to monitor my web site as well, plus catch up on all I miss while being a care giver. I also broadcast global weather data via the web every 2.5 seconds from my personal weather station to orgs like NOAA.  I need to monitor this daily & frequently. My station goes down or my software stops updating no one gets my data & I send to 4 different weather orgs. I do all of this & more daily so I think you can see now 5GB would simply be not enough. I think its a great idea. Just need more GB. An unlimited plan would be a problem solver for me

I think 5 GB may be enough for all of this, but if not, you could purchase two 5 GB plans.  I would not recommend a netbook, however.  I would recommend a USB760 with a notebook computer.  For a business application, $120 per month would not be excessive.

0 Likes
Deamorei
Enthusiast - Level 2

jimfitzgerald wrote:

I think 5 GB may be enough for all of this, but if not, you could purchase two 5 GB plans.  I would not recommend a netbook, however.  I would recommend a USB760 with a notebook computer.  For a business application, $120 per month would not be excessive.

It's a bit ridiculous to even consider having to pay $120 bucks a month for a measley 10GB of data. The silly part is Verizon will sell you 10GB for $199.00 a month last check. Last I checked FIOS cost $99.00 a month for unlimited TV, Phone and internet to the few that can actually get it. I'm willing to bet there are far less with access to FIOS then their are Verizon Mobile Broadband. The target market for Verizon Mobile Broadband is not travelers or mobile business users. They couldn't feed there families if that was the actual market because it would be so small.

Who in there right mind is going to pay 60 bucks to view/access the web on a silly smart phone. Very few. I know one of about 100 in my place of business that even uses his phone for the web. I know about the same amount that might use a laptop for  mobile web access. Most of those 100 have cell phones with no wired phones at home at all. Why pay for two phone services? So I'm offered free Verizon Wifi access at named locations with my MIFI? I don't need it most on the road locations offer FREE Wifi access for customer's what its worth most every McDonald's is a free WIFI access point. Have a Big Mac and check your emails, web, etc , etc if you must. You don't need a mobile broadband contract for that.

So you see the selling argument that wireless broadband is designed for on the road use primarily is just a sales pitch to try and justify the 5GB caps. Of the 30,000 residents of my county in Ohio only 10k of those live in small cities. The other 20,000 are rural people who don't live in town where wired is available. Most of Ohio not to mention a huge majority of most every state has a very large rural population whose only access to broadband is via cellular. We are tapping it and the suppliers were stupidly blind not to prepare for it. Their capacity is their problem and in the meantime we have to suffer as consumers because they are slow to invest or upgrade.

I would love to see these companies go back to the  "We will switch you for free" like they did many years ago. If you think you provide a fair product they I challenge Verizon to not only do away with ETFs but also make it so you no longer have to agree to a contract at all? It's going to eventually come to that and I'll be a happy camper when it does. Then a company will have to sell us a good product with good options. No company is too big to fall. Remember Microsoft.

Oh btw this is Verizon's sale pitch on the 5GB plan,

Mobile Broadband Plan—5 GB Monthly Allowance
Best for heavy users that:

* Need a frequent mobile connection
    * Send or receive email with large attachments
    * Download or upload large files such as photos
    * Need frequent access to Web sites
    * Download music occasionally

See Details
5 GB (5,120 MB)
of data usage for
Internet access*
Verizon Wi-Fi
hotspot access
included
$59.99
monthly access
Buy Now

Best for heavy users? I'm a rural user of course I need a frequent mobile connection. I don't need VZW hot spot access nearly every fast food place or hotel has it for free via wireless network card.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I pay Charter Cable $29.99 for unlimited, 10 mbps internet.  I pay Verizon Mobile $59.99 for 5 GB, 1.5 mbps internet.  I am happy with both because I understand the difference and use them accordingly.

0 Likes