When must I pay an activation fee?
jetpackuser

If I buy a used Jetpack and SIM-card e.g. on eBay or Amazon will I have to pay an activation fee when activating the device?  I found out that obviously such a fee has to be paid when buying and activating a new Jetpack in a Verizon store.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: When must I pay an activation fee?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, jetpackuser. Help is here as I definitely want to provide a definitive answer to your questions for activation fees. When activating service, regardless of where you purchase the device from, there is still a charge for us, Verizon Wireless, activating a new line of service. When bringing your own device or purchasing from a 3rd party vendor such as eBay or Amazon, you will still pay an activation fee of $30.00. I do hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Natasha_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Every time you open a new line of service at Verizon Wireless, you have to pay an activation fee.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jetpackuser

Hi Ann,

thank you for your answer. Just to make it clear: Would activating a used jetpack with a new SIM-card from somewhere else (e.g. also from eBay) mean that I open a new line (no MyVerizon-account so far)?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You may be confusing an upgrade fee with an activation fee.  As stated earlier, if you open a new line of service, you'll incur an activation fee.  The activation fee is a one-time charge to establish a new line of service; where you purchased your device doesn't factor into the decision, unlike an upgrade fee.

If you currently do not have Verizon service, then you'll incur an activation fee to start a line of service.  If you currently have Verizon service and 'bring your own device' to place on your existing account, there is no fee.  If you currently have Verizon service and purchase a device from VzW, then you'll incur an upgrade fee.

Upgrade Fee FAQs | Verizon Wireless

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

tikibar1 wrote:

If you currently do not have Verizon service, then you'll incur an activation fee to start a line of service. If you currently have Verizon service and 'bring your own device' to place on your existing account, there is no fee. If you currently have Verizon service and purchase a device from VzW, then you'll incur an upgrade fee.

Upgrade Fee FAQs | Verizon Wireless

I missed the five-minute edit window.  Smiley Sad

If you currently do not have Verizon service, or if you have Verizon service and add a line to your account, you'll incur a one-time activation fee to start a new line of service.

If you currently have Verizon service and 'bring your own device' to place on an existing line on your account, there is no fee.

If you currently have Verizon service and purchase a device from VzW, then you'll incur an upgrade fee.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, jetpackuser. Help is here as I definitely want to provide a definitive answer to your questions for activation fees. When activating service, regardless of where you purchase the device from, there is still a charge for us, Verizon Wireless, activating a new line of service. When bringing your own device or purchasing from a 3rd party vendor such as eBay or Amazon, you will still pay an activation fee of $30.00. I do hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Natasha_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

CHIC014A

Does the activation fee apply when you replace a damage Verizon phone with a new like Verizon phone?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CHIC014A, if you mean to ask if you are changing devices on your line, but not upgrading/purchasing a phone from us, then no Upgrade/Activation fee applies. 

AnthonyG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @Vzsupport.
If my response answered your question, please click the Correct Answer button, under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

0 Likes