Re: Waive upgrade fee
jay75009
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah its pretty disgusting. 

I owned my previous phone outright. Unlocked, didn't even come from Verizon. I decided I wanted a new phone 1 fudging month into my contract from a "bring your own phone". 

Walked in and bought a 11 Pro MAX outright for cash at $1356.00. The guy in the store did literally NOTHING other than bring the box out, scan it and take my money. 

Now I have a $40 fee? For what? I didn't even get a new simcard. heck I put the simcard in my self in my car lol Charge me $1356 for a brand new phone, the same month I already paid an activation fee, and then Charge me $40 for literally nothing lol 

oh...they'll be waiving it lol Or ill be returning the phone and going to another company. Seeing as I own the phones outright, can't really charge me a disconnect fee 😄  Reward customers who spend thousands by charging them mystery fees lol 

rcschnoor
Legend

You should have purchased the device from Apple and gotten the unlocked version of the device. Then you would not have had an upgrade fee.

Why people insist on doing this I certainly don't know, but if you choose to purchase a device from Verizon you will be paying an upgrade fee. If you purchase online without human interaction, it is only $20. If you purchase in a store from a person, it will be $40.

The easiest way to not pay the upgrade fee is to purchase an "unlocked" version of the device directly from the manufacturer or from a 3rd party retailer which offers "unlocked" devices.

Keep in mind when/if you switch providers that the phone you purchased from Verizon is locked to Verizon for 60 days before they will unlock it in order to work on other providers.

https://www.verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy

Shetektn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Don't charge a fee for something the customer does on their own. If the customer is valuable, then not charging to upgrade every two or more years would be appropriate. I have had multiple lines with Verizon for more than 15 years and the only customers that get shown appreciation for their business are new customers. I am paying full price for my phone and will do the upgrade at home, on my time, with my internet connection. You nor your representatives will do a single thing on your end. I shouldn't have to purchase an unlocked phone either. IMHO

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KerryC_VZW Hello, we understand wanting to be able to take advantage of a great deal. Please send us a Private Note if you would like us to go over your options with you.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

@Shetektn wrote:

I shouldn't have to purchase an unlocked phone either. IMHO

No you shouldn't have to purchase an unlocked phone. You DO, however, have to abide by the policies in place from a provider YOU choose to make a purchase.

I choose to purchase unlocked devices and not pay an upgrade fee. You apparently choose to purchase your device from Verizon and pay an upgrade fee. I choose to not have an upgrade fee. You choose not to have an unlocked device. Possibly in your life at some point you learned there are trade-offs for every decision you choose to make. This is just another one of those trade-offs. IMHO.

0 Likes
TonyinOhio
Enthusiast - Level 1

Nothing but a money grab for V.

Been with them for 27 years.  5 lines and iPads.  Ave bill is $200 a month so that totals $60,000+ over the life.  Add in the device purchases and we've spent over $70,000.

Their response ... "everyone does it."

Yea ... thats customer service for ya.  

Carollarsen
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can you trade in your phone at Best Buy to reduce the Verizon device payments or get a Verizon gift card?

Also, I just returned to my Verizon plan after leaving for 2 days.  I paid an activation fee for both phones on the plan.   Both of our phones are upgrade eligible.  Why am I being billed for a 2nd activation fee when upgrading my phone?  I really dont get it.

STICKYBIKER

So I just added a new line to my plan.  The sales guy told me to wait 14 days and then call into customer service and ask to have the $40 activation fee waived.  He literally told me, "don't worry, once they see you've been with us for 23 years they won't even argue about it".  

Well they certainly argued and refused.  I even gave the woman the name of the rep who told me that and his location.  I was again told "no-sorry.  You weren't told this'". Yea, I made this up and put it on my calendar to call because I made this all up in my head.  Then I was asked some condescending questions like "Is this your first time?"  Uh- in 23 years?  no.

Very disappointing.  I've got 3 wireless lines and a jet pack on my plan (was going to upgrade it all to unlimited data in the fall too) but now I'm now looking into other carriers and considering cancelling the whole smash.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry for this experience, STICKYBIKER. We appreciate your feedback, and we will use it to improve our processes moving forward. I apologize if you were provided any misinformation. The last thing we want is to lose you as a customer. The upgrade fee is $40 when you upgrade at the store. You can save $20 if you upgrade your device online. You can find more details on the upgrade fee using this link. https://www.verizon.com/support/upgrade-device-faqs/#:~:text=You're%20charged%20an%20upgrade,a%20sto...

We recommend using our Verizon Up program. It's a great way to earn device dollars that can be used towards your next upgrade and cover the upgrade fees. Here's more information on our Verizon Up program: m.vzw.com/m/UpSocial

GersonG_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Carollarsen Can you tell us if you see an upgrade or activation fee? Regarding Best Buy, you will need to check the promotion they are currently offering. Also, you can save 50% of the upgrade fees when you process it online or using your My Verizon App. DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes