Using Unlocked GSM on Verizon
Turakra01
Enthusiast - Level 1

Some unlocked phones sold online indicate compatible with Verizon while others do not.  Can anyone tell me how I can determine is an unlocked GSM phone that is being sold online is compatible with the Verizon network?  It seems many of the vendors selling them are not sure or are mistaken. I had one vendor give me the imei and tell me it was compatible, but the Verizon compatibility tool indicated it was not compatible.   I do know I can enter the IMEI number on the Verizon site, but it seems some of the vendors do not know the IMEI numberhe phone they woul ship me..  Also, is the imei identification tool on the verizon site 100% accurate?

Also,in general why are some unlocked phones not compatible if using LTE technology?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Using Unlocked GSM on Verizon
rcschnoor
Legend

Because Verizon is still a CDMA provider vs a GSM provider. If the phone does not have CDMA capabilities you would not be able activate the phone on Verizon.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

With the exception of the HTC U11 phone. It is certified by Verizon Wireless as an LTE only phone and can be activated on the Verizon Wireless network.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Whichever phones you are considering needs to have the LTE band 13 for Verizon Wireless. Then it should also have the CDMA radios for Verizon Wireless unless it could function as an LTE only device with VoLTE.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Turakra01
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you. So, it seems, to be safe, it would be best to find a CDMA phone since LTE technology only technology with GSM may not be fully functional.

Sent from my iPhone

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Turakra01, you've received some awesome advice from our community. I know buying a new phone without knowing if it'll work can be scary. If you can retrieve the IMEI or MEID number from the seller you can check it here > http://vz.to/2ux6tGh

Please let us know if this helps you.

MarcusS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!