Oneplus 8 Pro Compatibility
ajshadrach
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon is only selling the OnePlus 8 5G but not the OnePlus 8 Pro. I've seen a few different places that certain features of the OnePlus 8 Pro will not work on the Verizon network. Is there anyway to find out which functions these are before buying an unlocked device to bring to Verizon? I found the info below on the OnePlus website (but it was apparently pulled from Wikipedia...)

Thanks!

Check local carrier 4G(LTE) / 5G(NR) connectivity

Carrier Support Band (LTE) Support Band (NR)

AT&T2/4/66/5/12/17/29/30/46/48n/a
Sprint25/26/41n/a
T-Mobile2/4/66/5/12/46/48/71N41/N71
VzW2/4/66/5/13/46/48n/a
U.S. Cellular2/4/5/12/17/71n/a

Even if a device supports some or all of the required frequencies for this carrier, it will not be able to connect unless the device is approved for this network.

The OnePlus 8 Pro is a Verizon-certified (Open Development) CDMA-less device, which supports most of Verizon's telecom services. As the services offered by virtual operators (MVNO) using the Verizon CDMA network may be different, certain functions may be incompatible. If you are using a virtual carrier, please consult your operator for more information.

Re: Oneplus 8 Pro Compatibility
Kng60ft

Im trying to figure out you can buy an unlocked pixel, unlocked samsung, unlocked LG, and unlocked iphone and able to use all the features of verizon network. Its a scam and a game they play which starts to get irritating for the most part. So now they release a oneplus 8UW which is the same phone as the 8/8pro just with their 5g WIFI coverage. So we purchase the 8/8pro unlocked from oneplus and we cant connect to verizon network because its not approved? But was all the other unlocked phones approved for verizon or its just cause they were from bigger name companies?  Now if you want to activate your 8/8pro on verizon then you will need an older oneplus, put your sim card in, call in and have them activate cdma-less, then switch that sim into the 8/8pro and everything will work.

I would love to have wifi calling working on my oneplus but verizon blames oneplus and oneplus blames verizon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kng60ft, I know how important it is to be able to purchase and use a phone you want.  The OnePlus is a phenomenal phone and I totally understand the interest in getting it.  The unlocked version might not be available at this moment, but we are always changing and making agreements with manufacturers which at some point could allow all the unlocked OnePlus phones to work.  You can always check if an unlocked and non-Verizon phone can be activated here: https://www.verizon.com/onedp/byod#/  You can also view all of our Verizon phones that are guaranteed to work with our network and all of our features here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/  Is there anything I can assist you with today?  SantoC_VZW

0 Likes
rdyxrolx
Enthusiast - Level 3

That byod link works only if I can provide the device ID, meaning I have to have the device in my hand -- already purchased.

No help at all if I'm trying to decide. I get that any carrier is going to carry the most prevalent phones because they're the most profitable, but it's time that all of the One Plus options are available. As of now, 128GB is the only option fully provisioned. That's just not enough. C'mon, man.

RUXPIN66
Enthusiast - Level 1

This:

https://www.verizon.com/onedp/byod#/ 

is worthless.   Some of us already have Verizon but want to be able to decide whether to buy a phone to bring because we're really tired of the myopic choices Verizon provides.

On the above site, I need the phone ID# which means I would have to fork out $1000 to buy a phone and THEN decide whether it will work.   It would be a lot more helpful if we could just search by brand & model.

Or better yet, it would be nice if you would just sell the OnePlus 8 Pro directly instead of the  lesser 8 5G UW.   First, the 5G is currently worthless to me because I'd have to drive hours to get to your 5G.  Second, it's a lesser refresh and lesser resolution.

So, the question remains, when will we be able to put a good phone on your network?

d-hag
Enthusiast - Level 1

One more item to the list of things that don't work with the Oneplus 8 Pro on Verizon, "Wireless Calling".  We activated my wife's Oneplus 8 Pro a couple days ago and now find that there's no "Wireless Calling" feature available.  My experience in activating my OnePlus Pro purchased before Verizon would even accept the IMEI for it drove me to test T-Mobile.  Not having any issues with it and Wireless Calling option works great.  I have an appointment with T-Mobile this afternoon to transfer our numbers to one of their plans.  I'm an over 15 year customer of Verizon who has finally had enough of their deceptive, closed source, practice of manipulating what can and can't be used on their network.  In this case showing it as a supported device but crippling functions, not sure why they do this, at the end of the day they're a Cellular Provider, not a phone manufacturer.  Who do they think they are, Apple?  Why would you care what phone the customer is using as long as it's compatible and they paid their bill.  Very disappointing. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how important it is to have the answers you need. Our current process allows flexibility for customers bringing a Device over to our network. Many purchase devices using third party options including friends and family. The site allows you to enter a Device ID to verify compatibility. We understand that Pre-ordered device purchases do not qualify for this process. We do not have an additional options at this time. As a long time cellular user myself, I realize everyone has their opinion on devices. We offer a wide selection of makes and models that are known to be great cell phones.  BobbyN_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

d-hag, the last thing we would ever want is for you to leave the Verizon family. As a smartphone user I know how important it is for you to be able to use the features you want on your device. You mentioned that you are not able to use wireless calling on you phone. To ensure we are on the same page, are you referring to

Wi-Fi Calling? Take a look at the OnePlus 8 5G UW -Turn Wi-Fi Calling On/Off. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-231088/

Are those the steps you followed to set up Wi-Fi Calling? 

JacobG_VZW

0 Likes
Chrirule
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't have the 8 Pro, however, I have the OnePlus 8 as well as the 7t and the 6t all working on Verizon.  Verizon needs to enable CDMA-less calling on the phone number.  Once this is done, you can just move the SIM card from your old phone in to the OnePlus and it works.

I've had mixed results with getting them to enable CDMA-less calling.  Some of the Verizon agents evidently don't even know how to spell cdma.  Just go online and do a suppport chat.  That has worked the best for me.  But in order to get CDMA-less enabled on 3 lines, I bet I had to talk to about 10 people.  It becomes pretty aparent when you tell them you need to enable CDMA-less calling on your line, if they know what they're doing or not.  I've never given them an IMIE number in order get the phones to work.

One note- buy the OnePlus phones directly from the OnePlus website.  Buying them from Amazon might result in the "t moble" phone that WILL NOT work on Verizon.  I definitely knew that and it definitely didn't happen to me... lol

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're sorry to hear about your experience while attempting to get this issue resolved in the past. If you need help we'll be here.  JoelD_VZW

0 Likes