Re: why does verizon cripple phones?
basspro
Contributor - Level 1

I also downloaded amaze GPS, and it works like a charm. No problems so far.

0 Likes
applepiter

ok, i redownloaded the app, it works but still wont locate me, says no satalite reception, but i know there is because bb maps locat me right away. if that is true that you both are being located with your bb, then i cant explain what is going on.

0 Likes
sheila1980
Enthusiast - Level 2

I downloaded amazegps on my Tour and it works great.

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

Im not trying to be a smart*** but you do have the GPS services set to  Location ON and Location aiding enabled. BB maps will work with only GPS services set to Location On but third party apps have to have the Location aiding enabled also.

0 Likes
basspro
Contributor - Level 1

Did you download the version for Verizon users which contains a fix? Scroll down on the download page to find this version.

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

I guess this heinous scheme to block every ones GPS is all peaches and cream now. Once we calm down and realize that WE didnt DL the right app.:smileywink:

0 Likes
phoneproblem

Super-huge thanks to everyone that responded to my post!

The Tour does have unrestricted GPS (though the VX6800 - my only phone with such experience - does not in addition to crippled bluetooth), so I definitely want to point that out. My biggest issue is with bluetooth at this point. As for the supporting third-party apps notion, I say that, as a systems administrator having worked in IT for the better part of 14 years (not bragging about anything or trying to be pedantic in ANY way), I think that stating 'we don't support third party apps' would be very accepted in this day and age. Just as Apple doesn't support anything non-Apple in their app store, it would be ridiculous for Verizon to assume they would be on the hook for supporting third party apps. I hate using the term ridiculous in such a way, but I think that the cellular phone market and the user demographic has gotten used to the idea that when you install something not provided by X, then X would not provide support for it.

This goes to my general point that Verizon is not exactly thinking about their customer too much. We're getting smarter, more accepting of what a company can and can't do. As for what they can do, they can give us open platforms. As for what they can't do.... it's more like what they won't do. Either it's about money or it's about assuming the customer is not savvy enough to make such decisions on their own. I might be wrong about that point, but with the nature of these restrictions, I can't think, in all the time I've spent thinking about it, of many more reasons.

Do they not think we're smart enough to install apps and go to the web (where we downloaded those apps) and find a forum to seek out help? Or do they think that MMS, the money maker, should be used instead of bluetooth? Do they think that transferring mp3's to your phone should be so difficult that you would instead want to by a ringtone from Get-It-Now? Is it a contractual obligation of some sort? If so, why did they place a higher value on the contract than the simplicity of their devices and therefore the happiness of their customers?

Of course, these questions are rhetorical, but it's the confusion and disappointment that really hits me hard. We know where to find support, and those that don't are highly unlikely to download a third-party app. Those that are not savvy, but do have third-party apps, probably had them installed by a savvy family member or co-worker that (accidentally or not) branded themselves the go-to person for support on that app. In fact, those that are not savvy, probably got their blackberry from work, or don't have a blackberry/windows mobile at all.

If you are going to give us something so capable, please don't bust it's kneecaps before the big game. Nobody wants a car that only support 1/16th inch proprietary brake pads that cost $1600 each to replace. We want the one that has 5/8th inch brake pads that are $29.95 for a pair. That's the best metaphor I can think of. Even Mercedes and Rolls Royce's have brake pads you can buy at Pep Boys.

So, I truly appreciate all the feedback I got on this topic. I can only hope that someone at Verizon that has a hand in the decision-making process really takes this to heart. We love your service. We really do. It's the reason I haven't left you for another provider. I have Verizon Wireless, FIOS internet, telephone, and television. While I know for a fact their internet can be made faster at no cost to them, that's a rant for another day :^)

Thanks, everyone!

(can i/how do i give kudos to those who gave great feedback?)

0 Likes
basspro
Contributor - Level 1

Click on "Kudos" under their name on left side of post.

0 Likes
lonbordin

Same reason that the GPS in my 8130 was and IS still crippled... shortsightedness.

It took a lawsuit to get them to turn on the GPS and it now only works with Blackberry maps.  No third party mapping software can access the GPS.

It seems that the latest Google(Andriod) & VZW partnership might turn out better. We will see.

0 Likes
phoneproblem

I gave out some kudos & hope I did not inadvertently snub anyone that deserved one. If I did, let me know and I'll be happy to pass them out! I obviously can't mark any comment as a solution as the only reply I would mark as the solution would come from Verizon itself in the form of an explanation and sincere promise to change their ways in the future. Since that would be the hallmark of a total business model overhaul, I doubt, but remain hopeful, that it is forthcoming.

Again, I extend my most sincere thanks to everyone that participated in this thread and I implore the powers-that-be at Verizon Wireless to take to heart the concerns of its customers.

Thanks!

0 Likes