You say worry free
dotherightthing

You, say worry free. But when I took my Blackberry tour into the store to get updated on it. The store messes up the phone. The phone is less that 3 months old with nothing wrong with it. But needed updates that the store has to do. The phone losses all the data that was on it and went blank. They want to give you a refurbish phone or want you to pay $50.00 to give you a new phone. Why do you have to pay for the mistake of what the store did. The customer should not have to pay for what the store done. You shouldn't be made to take what is just throw at you and that_ that. The store should give the customers a new phone with no questions asked.  THAT WOULD BE THE RIGHT THING TO DO. THAT WOULD BE GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE.  

dotherightthing:

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: You say worry free
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

Was this a corporate store or one of those mini mall I sell verizon but dont have any of the discounts or promotion stores?

This is why I always tell people to use the BB desktop manager as it has one of those neat new features called BACKUP. I would have hope d they would have backed up your phone before doing any type of update and I am firmly against the OTA updates to your OS as to many things can go wrong. Your phone is not completely dead in the water as you can wipe it clean and reinstall an OS. But if they really screwed it up you probably lost your data and anything that wasnt saved on your SD card.

0 Likes
Chesterface

Actual Verizon stores are not supposed to be doing OS software updates in the store. You have to do it from your desktop so that way you're able to back up all your information before doing the software update. Just in case anything were to go wrong during the update, all your information is still backed up to your computer.

0 Likes
LShimmy7

When I needed a software upgrade for my last phone (enV Touch-randomly reset itself), I took it to the Verizon store in the local mall and was told that only the "corporate Verizon locations" could perform software upgrades. There are two within a few miles of the local mall so it wasn't a problem to drive on over to one...So I'm assuming this upgrade was performed at a "corporate Verizon location."

Did you ask anyone why the phone wasn't working after the upgrade? And how long did it take you to realize it wasn't working after it was returned to you? I'd be very surprised if you were flatly denied some promise of recourse (the free kind) if the phone was returned to you and you could tell immediately that it was not working. As someone who works retail, I see situations every day where the company sides with the consumer (money) over the employee (easily replaceable), even when the consumer wants something s/he isn't actually entitled to (you can tell I work underneath the giant corporate nebula, right? lol).

Really think about what happened. If you gave them a functional phone and got a paperweight back, set aside some time to call Verizon and try to sort out the situation, being as level-headed as possible. If I were you, I'd have the store's phone number and store number available and just give it to whomever you speak with. If, as another poster stated, Verizon stores aren't supposed to do Blackberry upgrades, and that store did, that may be the smoking gun. Just make sure you have all your bases covered and do it calmly.

0 Likes
SaNDman
Contributor - Level 3

I don't understand "needed updates that the store has to do." But that store owes you a brand new phone, since they messed it up!:smileysad:

0 Likes
LShimmy7

To amend my last post, that should have said "OS upgrades," not specifically the Blackberry one. It's not unusual for me to forget what's going on and then remember all of a sudden an hour later.

0 Likes
MambaFace

Verizon stores are not supposed to perform any software updates on BB phones.  My friend went in and asked if they could do it, they stated that they were not supposed to perform BB software updates at any time. 

Also, you stated that the phone was less than 3 months old - the Worry Free Guarantee lasts for 30 days.

However, the fact that they did attempt a software upgrade and did mess up your phone...I would think that they should replace it for you for free, at least, that's what I think they SHOULD do.

0 Likes
MyTwoCents

My daughter took her EnV2 into the corporate Verizon store for a software update and they fried it and told her the same thing.  They would replace it for a fee.  She called customer service a few times and got the right person who replaced it with a new phone because it was their fault.  Most phones don't let the consumer have the same freedoms that RIM does. There is no reason to take a BB in for an O/S update, that is something you do at home on your PC.  If it is a paperweight now, go to Verizon's website and download the O/S for your phone to your PC.  THen go to CrackBerry and find the instructions on fixing a bricked BB.  Follow the directions, do not unplug your phone until its completely finished.  When all is finished use desktop manager to restore your last backup, hopefully you did a backup.  I back my Tour up 3-4 times a week.  If you don't have a backup, sync with your Outlook or whatever and you'll get your calendar, tasks, memos and contacts back.  You'll have to reinstall any 3rd party apps.  BB is user friendly, that's part of the addiction.  They just beg you to tweak them.  I think your BB will recover just fine.

0 Likes