Windows 7 and Tethering with the Storm
MrDJ

Hi All,

I have been pulling my hair out for 2 days trying to get this to work.

Long story short.  I have been running the Beta, then RC1 of Windows 7.  These were clean installs on the machines I ran.  I used VZAM and was able to tether 5 months ago with NO issues at all.

Well, my 2 machines that had Vista just got upgraded to 7.  On both machines, I am unable to get VZAM to work properly.  It just says configuring standard modem, and never can.

Wondering if anyone has experienced this.  I am 98% confident with all of the troubleshooting I have done, it is something with the driver and not VZ Access manager.

Here is what I have done:

Selected uninstall of the Standard Modem from device manager
Reboot
Reinstall VZAM

Attempted a manual connection with "connect to a network" option within Windows 7.  Unable to open the modem errors appear

Opened modem options and attemted to query the modem.  This failed as well.  This is leading me to believe we have a driver issue with windows 7 and the "Standard Modem" that is used for tethering devices.

Attempted to delete all traces of VZAM in the system registry, and would like to do the same with the driver, but am not sure what the correct keys would be to delete.

Googled the support forums at vzw.com to see if this was a common issue.

Plugged my phone in the machine that had a clean install in it, still connects with no issues.

So again, I think I am dealing with a driver issue only caused when upgrading from Vista.

I also noticed under the network adapters (where the dialup connections are listed).  The standard dialer profiles that VZAM attempts to create are nowhere to be found.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Windows 7 and Tethering with the Storm
ROUGH72

HAD SAME PROB. WITH M RC1 WHEN I UPGRADED MY VZAM TO 7.0 SOMETHING FIRST THING I FOUND WAS A BUG IN VZAM [TROGEN] GOT THAT OUT AND WORKED BUT HAD SAME DRIVER ISSUES SO WENT BACK TO OLD VERSION OF VZAM AND IS BETTER. STILL TRACES OF VZAM 7.? THOUGH IN THE PROGRAM.

I SUGEST TO SYSTEM RESTORE TO BE FORE VZAM INSTALL THEN TRY THE OLD VERSION OF VZAM THATCAME WITH PHONE.

0 Likes