Re: OS 10.2 Update Yet? When?
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi, all,

Just a little bit of an update.  I had indeed loaded 10.2.1.1055 on my Z10.  It ran good for a few weeks, then some bugs started appearing.  First, the battery file for this OS is poor.  It did let the OS "settle in" but battery power was drained pretty quick compared to the stock official OS 10.1.0.2039.  Another major problem was concerning Visual Voice Mail.  The ability to view VVM on the device disappeared after a couple of weeks.  I researched and found this was happening a lot to folks, mysteriously, all of whom were on Verizon's VVM.  It must be a software glitch that occurs somehow. 

The nice thing was the ability to load Android apk files directly on the device without having to sideload them.  There were a few apps that worked nice, Netflix the main one I enjoyed.  If you tried to load any app that utilizes Google's mapping service, such as WeatherBug and it's radar, you are out of luck.  Google has yet to allow non-Android devices access to Google services, such as maps, Google play, etc. 

Overall, 10.2 is a great improvement, however, BlackBerry is still getting the kinks and bugs worked out of some of the 10.2 OS releases.  The 10.2 that comes with the Z30 seems to be stable, however, 10.2.1 OS will be the one to watch for, as it has all the "bells and whistles" a lot of us are looking for.  For now, due to the instability in the 10.2.1.1055, plus the fact that last night my device locked up, I reverted back to the official 10.1.0.2039 from Verizon.  Just thought I would pass along what I have found. 

Doc

powdah
Enthusiast - Level 3

What I miss is 'good' customer service.  Either Verizon needs to come out of the closet and make a statement.  Then again, I would say the same thing about BB.  If BB would get aggressive in the marketplace, just maybe Verizon would be more supportive.  However, since Verizon is selling a few Z10's and 30's, they need to provide "real" support. <<Comment removed to comply with >>

I for one, am hoping that Sprint trying to buying T Mobile succeeds and allows for them to expand coverage.  I will take my business lines and flee.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Sprint buy T-Mobile will NEVER happen. Sprint just go bought out by Softbank. When Sprint offered 19B for T-Mobile DT didn't even show an inkling of selling for that much. The lowest I see T-Mobile from selling is 30B(AT&T deal gave them a 9B profit. Over the course of 10 years + the 39B = 9B profit). It'll take Softbank around 2 years to finish with Sprint and currently they don't have enough make a serious offer for T-Mobile. Don't forget the DoJ won and kept T-Mobile separate from AT&T to keep 4 carriers not 3 for better competition. We can't forget... Sprint did nothing with their IDEN network since merging with Nextel.

0 Likes
Irish_Blues
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unless the goal of the company is to chase away everyone from BB to an iPhone / Android device (when I went to buy a Z10, I was pushed hard not to buy a BB and was pitched an Android until I finally said "this is what I want" and the sales person walked away and refused to talk to me again), there's no good excuse for Verizon (or any of the other U.S.-based carriers)  to *not* have released a version of the 10.2 OS.  None.  10.2.0.1803 was made available to carriers in mid-August; Rogers has had it available in Canada since late October, and it's also available for numerous other carriers around the world.  In the U.S., however, ... *crickets* - and 10.2.1 is getting close to being available.  The .1925 beta version is simply outstanding; if BB flips the switch to sync with Google Play it's going to be a quantum improvement over what VZW currently has available ... and the longer it drags its feet on updating, the more it misses out (and forces its customers to miss out).  That's simply inexcusable.

If Verizon truly wants to position itself as the leading cellular phone provider in the U.S., it needs to be proactive in releasing OS updates for *all* manufacturers instead of pulling the "meh, we'll get around to it when we feel like it" approach it's had for a while now.  I've had updates for other phones that were available ex-VZW, but if you wait for VZW to actually push it you'll be waiting forever.  If VZW didn't have top-notch coverage (or if another carrier had similarly good coverage), it would be indistinguishable from the other carriers - and arguably would be toward the bottom of the group.

Danubian
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's amazing the experience you have when going to purchase a BlackBerry. You honestly are talked out of it as you mention Irish_Blues. You discuss it on forums and some replies do everything but call you a liar and then claim it's because of BlackBerry's market share that their line of phones are virtually hidden in the back of stores. As if one has anything to do with the other. Amazing.

Seeing as the inquiries about 10.2 bring out claims of ignorance through Verizon automated responses, it would be interesting to start a thread with the Z30 as the topic to see how much information would be shared about the 10.2 running on the device. I wonder if the enhancements would be downplayed or noted at all. I recently read a post on another forum where the author spoke of a Verizon store that pushed a Z30 but with the 10.1 spec details of the Z10! No excuse for that kind of mistake from the only US carrier of the phone. BlackBerry updates are placed on a back burner purposely because rather than value every cash spending customer, large carriers can elect to focus only on those customers that flock to their biggest selling products. Makes total sense, still isn't cool in my book due to the unfair advantages given to specific device makers. If large corporations could be trusted to act in favor of customers we wouldn't have protections like Net Neutrality. Chen should be strategjzing to find a way to exclude carriers from the OS update process. It will continue to hurt the company when the rest of the world has a device with improved capabilities than the exact same device sold in the United States.

leewclark
Contributor - Level 1

I would love to know why we are wating for an update to a system that is already on the Verizon Wireless network... If you can sell the Z30 the update to the other BB10 Phones should have come within the same week at least....

0 Likes
DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

I read a post elsewhere that speculated on January 4. With Verizon Wireless record,

be may 2015, rather than 2014. Fast updates doesn't seem to be their forte.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It depends when it was submitted with every other device too. That includes android devices and other types of updates. Can't forget FCC approval mixed in and when manufacturers submitted to them. That process alone could take up the most time. The one thing these blogs and even the manufacturers don't tell you. If they don't pass they have to go through the process all over again. They don't jump to the front of the line.

0 Likes
JSanders10
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry, Tidbits, but OS releases on the Z30 (or other BlackBerrys) do not require FCC approval. That's not part of nor how the OS release process works from BlackBerry to Verizon.

OS 10.2.0.xxx has been released for months from BlackBerry, and it's suspected that 10.2.1.xxx will be released by BlackBerry this month (January 2014). No clue as to when Verizon will drop it.

0 Likes
gwynvt
Enthusiast - Level 2

While I could get behind Verizon saying the delay is because they are making sure as many bugs as possible are being worked out both with the OS and the OS playing nice with Verizon, for all of us not only isn't that what they have said (they just don't seem to say anything) that only buys them some time, not months. I can't think of any explanation or reason for not providing an update that is already running on new equipment they are selling. Regulations, approvals...none of it works if the OS update is being used (approved, jumped through the hoops) by some Verizon phones. My family has been a customer from the first cell phone we've owned and stuck with Verizon, paying a premium for coverage and service. It is very disheartening to think the service part of that (and increasingly the coverage isn't so superior) only applies to some of the equipment they sell. We have a BlackBerry for it's business usage advantages and I always thought Verizon was a carrier business oriented customers could count on. This question started in October or November, it's January and I can't find an answer or an update (and we are having email issues with the BlackBerry).

0 Likes