When will Verizon release Android sercurity patches for the PRIV?!
rgray
Contributor - Level 1

It seems Verizon is slacking on releasing any Android updates for the PRIV. I haven't seen any updates for the device since I bought.

What's going on Verizon!?

April security patch now available for the BlackBerry Priv | CrackBerry.com

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: When will Verizon release Android sercurity patches for the PRIV?!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can certainly appreciate wanting the latest update for your device, rgray. We are constantly working with manufacturers and developers to ensure our devices get quality updates. Please keep checking http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/information/software_updates.html for any changes to device updates available for the Verizon Wireless network versions. Is everything working well on your device with the currently available software?

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just because the GSM model has the update doesn't mean the update is finished for the Verizon model.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can certainly appreciate wanting the latest update for your device, rgray. We are constantly working with manufacturers and developers to ensure our devices get quality updates. Please keep checking http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/information/software_updates.html for any changes to device updates available for the Verizon Wireless network versions. Is everything working well on your device with the currently available software?

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Cocoastclair

There rumor that the new OS (Marshmallow) will be released to carriers on May 3. Can we get a confirmation from someone at Verizon? With the security on the Priv I don't believe we will be hurting for the the March or April security patches.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There will not be any confirmation until they just about to release it. This usually happens the day before or on the day of release.  Even the http://us.blackberry.com/software/smartphones/update/android-os.html has a footnote "Availability timing will vary by carrier and region. Please check with your carrier for details" for when the update will be available.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rgray
Contributor - Level 1

Here we are in September and no Marshmallow

0 Likes
rgray
Contributor - Level 1

vzw_customer_support​@ Here we are in September and Verizon hasn't pushed out a security update in three months. In fact Blackberry just release September security updates. I'll bet vzw_customer_support​ will even look at them.

BlackBerry powered by Android Security Bulletin – September 2016

Hey vzw_customer_support​ or @JenniferH_VZW would you care to comment on this?

rgray
Contributor - Level 1

vzw_customer_support​@ I've been told by VZW phone support that the VZ network protects our phones from security vunerablities. Is this true? If so what happens when I'm not on the VZW network?

Has Verizon received a call from the FCC regarding your lack of providing security updates to mobile devices?

FCC Launches Inquiry into Mobile Device Security Updates

"Consumers may be left unprotected, for long periods of time or even indefinitely, by any delays inpatching vulnerabilities once they are discovered. To date, operating system providers, original

equipment manufacturers, and mobile service providers have responded to address vulnerabilities as they arise. There are, however, significant delays in delivering patches to actual devices—and

that older devices may never be patched."

All PRIV owners want are either 3 months of security patches or the Marshmallow OS updates. Don't tell us that security patches are available from Blackberry. A VZW representative told me that there will be no more security updates to Lollipop. All new security updates will come with Marshmallow. Yet Verizon is taking it's time on updating our phones. VZW should publish securty updates for our phones until Marshmallow is ready on the Verizon network. You leave us vurnerable and it's irresponsible.

When I attempt to check for updates I receive the following message on my PRIV.

"Can't connect. Sorry we had trouble checking for system updates"

I called VZW support two days ago and the issue has been escalted but I haven't heard anything yet.

What is your response to all of this?

@

DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

I have read complaints over and over about how slow Verizon is in releasing Marshmallow for Priv.

Other phones not from BlackBerry have Marshmallow.

Here is a link to file complaint with FCC, I and many others already have.

FCC Complaints

rgray
Contributor - Level 1

If you respond to this post mention vzw_customer_support​ and verizonmoderator2​ in your response. Let's see if they chime in. Although I doubt they will.

0 Likes