Verizon Wireless' take on Beta OS' "why not?"
Sig

I have started this post in hopes that I will not get an automated or canned response from Verizon's Tech Support.

I know that the official stance by Verizon is that they will not support Beta Operating Systems, I don't dispute the logic in that and understand that Verizon can not support and design a Operating System at the same time.  However, I don't understand why Verizon would void a phones warranty because of the use of a Beta Operating System?  Especially, if that Beta OS came from BB, and is not some sort of Hybrid created by a third party. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Wireless' take on Beta OS' "why not?"
SMRyan
Contributor - Level 2

If you understand the logic that Verizon can't stand by a product that is not what they originally sold, then that answers your own question. Even if the OS loaded into the phone is a "hybrid" or third party OS, it would not make any sense for VZW to cover a phone they didn't sell.

Analogy coming up

It's like modding a game console or any other electronic device, and then trying to get it warranty replaced.

The answer is as blunt as it should be. VZW won't cover a product if a beta OS, more importantly a beta OS that wasn't approved by VZW or RIM,  damaged your device. The distribution of that software is then an issue as well. Was it corrupt? Malicious?  Also, then how do you nkow what caused the problem that triggered you to need it replaced? It could ahve been the phone hardware, it could have been the beta OS, it creates an area of grey that VZW or any company for that matter sees as unnecessary. To not have this policy would create more chaos then I'd wish to know.

This is a policy to mainly protect VZW, and also a customer from the result that can most likely end in corrupt software on the device.

I don't see any lack of logic in it.

Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-31-2009 03:24 PM
Message Edited by SMRyan on 03-31-2009 03:31 PM
0 Likes
lowrance
Contributor - Level 2
chances are if you have a manufacturers defect that the vzw takes care of at the store you will not have a problem. most store reps will not catch that its not an official vzw os.myself if i have a problem i need to return it to the store i will downgrade to whats suppose to be on there just so i aint out 4 or 5 hundred bucks.but basically these leaks are sumthing that are only released to a select few at rim and eventually vzw for testing purposes only. installing it could brick your bb or create more problems than you had with official os . i run .109 on my storm and 4.5.0.131 released from  sprint on my 8330 with more stability than the official vzw releases
0 Likes
Sig

But, wouldn't you agree that .109 is far superior to .75, what made you try the Beta in the first place?

What features didn't it have that you would like to see?  What major flaws still exist in .109?

Personally I would like to see a customizable flick and accelerometer scrolling with an on/off switch and be able to lock the feature in certain screens. 

The new txt indication icon for selecting txt in .113 looks great and functions pretty good, except if you aren't careful when dragging you can flick to the previous/last message.

And the lockups and long delays have got to go, especially typing delays. I have gotten faster than my BB can Handel in any form of OS.

Has anyone ever completely lost a 'bricked' blackberry and not been able to bring it back per the instructions?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-do-i-recover-dead-blackberry-32322/

0 Likes
Sig

"if i was stuck wit .75 i would have sold the phone it sucked!" or thrown it through their freak'n window...

I like .109 and you're right .113 hangs up a bit more, may be 2 or 3 times a week, but I use this thing a lot and I am not sure that it isn't cause by some of the apps.

I use vista 64 and haven't had any problems as of yet....

One consistant problem I have seen with all the Betas, except .85 is that when listening to saved music from the card the volume button acts like it is a scroll button instead of controling the volume...odd

0 Likes
lowrance
Contributor - Level 2
sent u a pm michel
0 Likes