Verizon Wireless Blackberry DOES NOT have PARENTAL CONTROL or USAGE CONTROLS
audreylynne

My daughter and I have the BLACKBERRY curve..they had that special, BUY ONE get one free..now, one year later....I find out....
I CAN'T ADD the USAGE CONTROL OPTION to my BLACKBERRY it is NOT COMPATIBLE

I am one year into my contract and refuse to think this is right.. Does ...anyone else have the same problem?? ...my daughter texts ALL DAY LONG IN SCHOOL..I wanted to turn off texting during school hours..but those options are unavailable..so in DEC (Xmas) 2008 when they were pushing these cool new blackberrys....did they know how outdated the equiptment was going to be within a year?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Wireless Blackberry DOES NOT have PARENTAL CONTROL or USAGE CONTROLS
Devs_Advocate
Contributor - Level 1

I have been scouring the internet, looking for some sort of solution but keep coming up empty.  The only things I've found are:

1.  You can go into the security settings and turn on the option to block SMS and MMS messages but there are a few problems with that.  You can't schedule when it blocks so it's pretty much blocked from the time you turn it on until you turn it off.  You also lose any message that comes in when it's turned on and can't get them back so if there is something important sent when blocked, you won't see what it is.

2.  You can go to the Blackberry site and the Contact Us page and send an email to them requesting an app to be made to regulate it.  That type of development isn't my speed but I'm sure they would send an email out to the community seeing if anyone is willing to create an app and would probably get an answer.  I know on some of the development boards I belong to, we get emails all the time from manufacturers with user requests so you can give it a shot.

Sorry that I can't get a better answer for you about this but I will keep looking around.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Wireless Blackberry DOES NOT have PARENTAL CONTROL or USAGE CONTROLS
sadie85
Contributor - Level 3

Blackberry's aren't designed for children. They are primarily a business phone. Yes it can do some great things but come on, does a 15 y/o need a Blackberry? Doubtful! Perhaps some respect to her teachers not to be texting in class!

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

You may want to take a look at Net Nanny's web site to see if they have a solution for your needs.  This is a subscription based app that will let you monitor your child's Blackberry and track all messaging, email, and internet activity.  For example, if you find your child has been texting during school hours, you will be able to find out about it.  Then, you would be able to take what ever means of action you want, such as taking away her cell phone for a period of time.  I would think just having this way of monitoring and your child aware of the monitoring, the texting during school will be curtailed.  Hope this helps.

Doc

0 Likes
Butthead
Contributor - Level 2

And why should they have these features?

Blackberry devices are generally for business users as are most pda smartphone devices. They are adding more consumer features, but they have never, nor will  they ever be, marketed to teens.

Sounds like you should have made a better choice for a phone at initial purchase time.

0 Likes