Upgrade to OS 5.0.0.591 caused severe battery drain on Tour 9630
Whitney2009

Since upgrading my Blackberry Tour 9630 to OS 5.0.0.591 this weekend, my battery life has been severely reduced. I had a full battery this morning, and 4 hours later I was down to 25%. I had not placed/received a single call, text message, or used any data features. The phone was simply sitting on my desk.

Does anyone know of a fix for this problem?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Upgrade to OS 5.0.0.591 caused severe battery drain on Tour 9630
Christy2198

i dont know how to fix it but I am also having issues with my battery life. This upgrade sucks.

0 Likes
MichaelO

I'm having the same problem.  I just purchased a new battery so I know it's not the battery.  It's so frustrating that Blackberry will not stand behind these phone or fix problems quickly like the upgrade problems.

0 Likes
peakcomp

I have battery drain more now since upgrading as well.  I have contacted Verizon for other problems with the upgrade and they really don't seem to want to do anything what so ever.  Its the "get used to it" attitude.

:smileysad:

Ken

0 Likes
Whitney2009

I also called Verizon today. Not only did they NOT offer any options on how to correct the battery drain issue, but when I asked how to downgrade to the previous version they said that Verizon offered no way to do this. They said I was stuck with 5.0.0.591.  I just can't accept the fact that there is no way to downgrade. That's absurd!  I did a reboot this afternoon, and it so far the battery doesn't seem to be draining as quickly. Give that a try, if you haven't already.

0 Likes
bumsy1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Whenever I have an app open that uses GPS (Google Maps or UberTwitter) the battery drains big time while they run in background.  Only fix is to Exit those apps with Exit option on Menu.  This seems only to be true since upgrade.

0 Likes
Whitney2009

I just tried using Google Mobile App for the first time since upgrading to 5.0.0.591. I got the error ""Google Mobile App can't connect" when I tried searching for something.  I wonder if I should try re-installing Google Mobile App?

0 Likes
beechan2

It's the same on my Curve 8330. I did the OS upgrade yesterday, had it on it's charger during the upgrade, then let it charge fully. Within about 2 hours, without even using it or allowing applications to run in the background, it went down to half.

I do plan on picking up a new battery for it another week to see if that helps any, but the battery BEFORE the OS update could hold a charge for at least day and a half, and that was even leaving the phone partially on at night to use it's morning alarm.

~~Bee

0 Likes
Whitney2009

Ever since I've rebooted, my battery is not draining like it was when I first installed the new OS. Give that a try!

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

I can tell you from experience, often, after an OS upgrade, a Blackberry will lose a 1XEV signal and go down to a 1X signal.  It tries to find a good strong 3G signal and in so, uses a lot more battery power.  You may need to update your PRL list by dialing *228 and use option 2.  That might improve your PRL and keep it from losing a good signal.  That might be part of the problem.

Doc

0 Likes