Undo the Update?
ewalker

Yesterday I downloaded the update that was announced in an email.  So many things are different and I DON'T LIKE IT!  How can I undo the update and go back to the way things were.  The ring tone I like is gone, the desktop photo I like is gone, the icons now fly all over the place and disappear at the touch of the mouse button, the menu key no longer brings up additional icons (it brings up a menu instead making additional work).  I can't even figure out how to make a call now.  There's got to be a way to get rid of the update.  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Undo the Update?
ewalker

It's fixed!  For any others with this problem, go to the post titled "Downgrade OS6 to OS5."  StreetDocRN posted specific instructions on how to rid your Blackberry of the scourge of OS6.  Thanks, Doc!

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

ewalker wrote:

It's fixed!  For any others with this problem, go to the post titled "Downgrade OS6 to OS5."  StreetDocRN posted specific instructions on how to rid your Blackberry of the scourge of OS6.  Thanks, Doc!

No problem.  If anyone needs help downgrading or are not sure of how to perform the task, just let me know.  I know it can be a pain in the you know what when you are not sure of how to upgrade or downgrade. 

Always here to help,

Doc

0 Likes
ntrnalyflawless

Hey Doc,

I am a doofes with the glossary of most of everything and would like to know if there is actually a difference between 6.0.1 update and 6 os update. Everyone seems to refer the new update to 6 os but when i went to update it didn't have no abbr. of "os" anywhere but downloaded it anyway.

Also I've downloaded free themes onto my phone and i have found them by doing lord knows what but i found it but have no option to set it on my phone but know it's downloaded on my phone somehow. Gone onto BB app world and downloaded a theme there also but can't set it ot my phone.

The guide/help tells me to go to options from the menu and select "display, etc" but i don't have that option to do so. Is this a glitch in the download or does the upgraded version not offer this.

Please get back to me when possible.

ps. downloaded back to the 5.0 a few times and for some reason only the major apps such as "home, contact, etc" are on the screen nothing else. So had to go back to the 6.0.

It's a nightmare for some options but love the way txt messaging looks now!

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

You will find that most of the themes out there right now are compatible with Blackberry Software OS 5 and not OS 6.  However, if you do find some for the new OS, once you download them, they can be activated by going to Options>Display>Screen Display.  At the bottom of that page you will find any OS 6 compatible themes right there.  To change to a particular installed theme, simply scroll to it and press the trackball and select Activate. 

To understand more about OS 5, go to Blackberry's web site at http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/devices/ and to understand more about the newer OS 6 go to Blackberry's site at http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/blackberry6/  They can give you a basic understanding of what is different and new.

The term OS means Operating System.  The Blackberry OS 6 is to the Blackberry as Windows XP or Windows Vista is to the PC.  Just as certain software is made to only run in Windows Vista and may not be compatible with Windows 95 or XP, certain themes or applications for the Blackberry 6 OS may not be compatible with OS 5.  Usually, the vendor will let you know if an app or theme is compatible with certain OSs. 

I hope I helped you understand a little bit more.  If I can ever be of assistance, please call on me.  The only way I learned about all this stuff was keeping up in these forums and messing around with my Blackberry.  You don't want to know how many times I "bricked" my Blackberry when I first started out and had to reload my Blackberry...LOL.  Good luck...

Doc

0 Likes
ntrnalyflawless

OMG...it's funny how I understand completely the directions you have given me to get to the display page but when reading it from the blackberry website and doing it from there was so confusing for me. So I've been getting to the right screen after all, but now my dilema is that the only theme that is an option is the standard one that came with the phone which is the verizon symbol. I've downloaded a free theme for testing from BB app world from my desktop but can't find it anywhere on my phone.

Is there a special setting or place that I have to download it to? I find my other themes I've had before downloading the new software but only under application properties and the only option I get is to edit permissions.

One more question...If i get on the internet and download a theme from a website where does it go?

I do appreciate all the help, i am just so frustrated calling tech support and I tell you what the reps i've spoken to have no knowledge what so ever about this new software.

0 Likes
adamant

well i am going back **bleep** i type to 5.0. cant stand the way 6.0's web is..

0 Likes
adamant

i went back to 5.0.0.737 hoping to solve the problem with the web page font size and its the same as the 6.0//..

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

ntrnalyflawless wrote:

Is there a special setting or place that I have to download it to? I find my other themes I've had before downloading the new software but only under application properties and the only option I get is to edit permissions. The theme when downloaded will go to the approriate place for storage.  Those themes for OS 5 will appear on your SD card but may not be compatible with OS 6 and will not appear where you can activate them.

One more question...If i get on the internet and download a theme from a website where does it go? When you download a theme, it will place it in the file Blackberry\Themes on your SD card.  If the theme is for OS6, it will appear as an available theme where you saw the Verizon branded theme.

I do appreciate all the help, i am just so frustrated calling tech support and I tell you what the reps i've spoken to have no knowledge what so ever about this new software.

Hope that helps,

Doc

0 Likes