Tethered Modem
lnash99

I recently received a new Blackberry Tour 9630. The main reason a choose it over AT&T and an Iphone is because it is advertised that it can be used as a tethered modem.

I finally got this feature to work only to learn that there is an additional $30 per month fee requested by Verizon. I am already paying $30 per month for unlimited data access with the phone. I should not have additional charges for networking my laptop with my phone. This is false advertising.  

This would charge would be similar to my cable company charging double for a second computer on my home network.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Tethered Modem
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

It's not false advertising, you just didn't do your research before hand. It's a commonly known fact that all cell phone providers require an additional charge for using your phone as a modem. This isn't just VZW specific. The $29.99 data plan only covers for unlimited data directly on your device. You even said it in your sentence...."unlimited data WITH THE PHONE". Not with the phone AND YOUR PC.

If the iPhone had tethering there would be an additional data plan beyond the normal iPhone data plan, so you're not going to escape that. Don't blame VZW, or any other phone company for that matter, for your lack of research when it's commonly known, public information.

0 Likes
Re: Tethered Modem
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

nmchileman wrote:

It's not false advertising, you just didn't do your research before hand. It's a commonly known fact that all cell phone providers require an additional charge for using your phone as a modem. This isn't just VZW specific. The $29.99 data plan only covers for unlimited data directly on your device. You even said it in your sentence...."unlimited data WITH THE PHONE". Not with the phone AND YOUR PC.

If the iPhone had tethering there would be an additional data plan beyond the normal iPhone data plan, so you're not going to escape that. Don't blame VZW, or any other phone company for that matter, for your lack of research when it's commonly known, public information.

Well put, Kudos to you.

Doc

0 Likes