Re: Storm 5.0.0.328 Update is HORRIBLE!!
njmobile

I hate this for you.  I got a Storm the first day of release and this software update has me enjoying my Storm again.  So mines about as old as they come.  I wonder if it's some third party software not playing nicely. 

0 Likes
crueda29

{keep it courteous}They release an update that does not work... was on the phone with them for total of 8 hours today including going to one of their stores.... They told me that all the phones that they were trying to update experienced the same problem as mine.  I can not send an email from my blackberry anywhere... I can reply with no problem but not compose any at all... My company is looking for another provider and I think we are going to give AT&T a try... can not be worse then Verizon... If I get this Storm replaced it will be my second Storm in 2 weeks... Can not believe it, I thought Verizon was customer freindly but all of their techs are clueless... The only tech that at least pointed me in the right direction was the one at the Verizon store....

0 Likes
ltolman
Contributor - Level 1

I will add myself to the list saying how I do not like the new OS.

First the upgrade was a breeze, I noticed I retained all my contacts so I was happy about that.

My calendar events though were missing, so I had to restore that (thankfully I did a backup before updating)

Then my email icon was missing my @vzw.blackberry.net icon; oddly enough I found it was a hidden icon (odd)

Then I do not like how the SMS are threaded now and whats worse is that if you choose to delete that SMS you are also deleting the "send ones" as well........I really prefer to be in control of which messages I delete and what not

But my storm has froze up on me several times as well too.  Not pertient to any application or anything just froze.  Well I will say I was trying to quit an application and it wouldnt let me then the screen went black and I was stuck; finally after hitting all sorts of buttons and the screen it went into the phone option yet I still couldnt get out of that until I did a battery pull.

Had to do 4 battery pulls in a matter of an hour trying to set everything back up

So I'm downgrading.

0 Likes
SaNDman
Contributor - Level 3

About the email problems, did tech support send you the "service books" for your email address? I had similar problems, I could send emails, but could not receive. So I called Verizon tech, and person sent service books to my phone, now I can send and receive emails. Also, from main screen on Storm> go to Settings>Email Settings>Press Menu (dots)> a small screen pops up> click Service Books> another page opens up. Go from there.:smileywink: I don't know about AT&T, but some friends of mine are on AT&T and tell me plans are expensive?!?:smileysurprised: But the company I work for, the cellphones are Verizon, and Verizon even offers company employees % discount on personal Verizon phones. Will AT&T do that?:smileywink: 

0 Likes
SaNDman
Contributor - Level 3

I mean't % discount on calling plan, and accessories. Will AT&T do that?:smileywink:

0 Likes
snarky

I have had quite the opposite experience.  I am loving 5.0!

I had severe issues with my BB Storm in the past and had to replace my phone 3 times in the past 8 months due to various software / hardware problems.  The 5.0 upgrade itself was a pain.  I got a fatal error during upgrade (repeatedly) and had to wipe my device and 3rd party applications to run the upgrade successfully.  After the upgrade completed I was able to reinstall everything and have had nothing but positive experiences.  The device boots much faster, the random freezes / lockups and delays when switching applications or in camera mode have disappeared completely.  This OS version is what I had in mind when I got the BB in the first place.

The only two issues I have had are:

1. The new version of Facebook is very finicky.  It will work for a while and then alternate between "data service not available", "cannot contact Facebook", or "login session expired" error messages.  The login session expired happens quite frequently even immediately after I enter my information and click login.  I have full towers and data service when I get these messages.

2. The Google contact sync works better than the Google version did for me but still has a minor annoyance.  The address from a Google contact syncs into the address line 1 field in my BlackBerry address book.  So the entire address is all smooshed into one line.  Haven't figured out a way around that one yet.

0 Likes
dwpritchard

None of my multimedia or camera work after the update.  Pressing the Music, Media, or Camera buttons completely lock up the device and I have to pull the battery.

Does anyone know more about the "older" Storm's firmware issue?  Is there a  firmware upgrade?  Is there a way to determine the version of firmware with the issue?

Dave

0 Likes
hal48martin

I agree!  I have wasted most of the day trying to follow their SIMPLE instructions.  Now I have lost applications (which I can live with), and all my contacts.  Yes, this is horrible!!!

0 Likes
SureTypeBandit
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would have to say that for the most part...my 5.0 upgrade has been pretty smooth.  However i have encountered a few bugs such as:

(1) When i restart my phone two screens pop up with messages that say:

Uncaught exception: java.lang.Error

Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

I have no idea what this is pertaining to.  If anyone does i would appreciate the help. 

(2) My facebook app and my Blackberry messager are not working.  I download and install them but the icons are no where to be found.  I go to applications in the options...they say they are there but i cant run them.  Also the icons are not hidden.

(3) The icon/ options to run/get into my email settings from the settings menu is not available.

Other than that, i would say that i love the new upgrade.  The scrolling is more "flick" oriented, my browser is lightning fast, and i seem to have a good amount of signal wherever  i  go.  Threaded SMS is kind of lame, but not that bad. The new interface is nice. The menu's are lot more involved and seem to have been renovated.

I updated through BB desktop manager...i am thinking about going back to 4.7 and trying to download the new update from verizon directly from their site seeing as how they just decided to PIN me letting me know this morning that the update is ready.

0 Likes
LOWFLYER
Contributor - Level 2

SureTypeBandit wrote:

I would have to say that for the most part...my 5.0 upgrade has been pretty smooth.  However i have encountered a few bugs such as:

(1) When i restart my phone two screens pop up with messages that say:

Uncaught exception: java.lang.Error

Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

I have no idea what this is pertaining to.  If anyone does i would appreciate the help. 

(2) My facebook app and my Blackberry messager are not working.  I download and install them but the icons are no where to be found.  I go to applications in the options...they say they are there but i cant run them.  Also the icons are not hidden.

(3) The icon/ options to run/get into my email settings from the settings menu is not available.

Other than that, i would say that i love the new upgrade.  The scrolling is more "flick" oriented, my browser is lightning fast, and i seem to have a good amount of signal wherever  i  go.  Threaded SMS is kind of lame, but not that bad. The new interface is nice. The menu's are lot more involved and seem to have been renovated.

I updated through BB desktop manager...i am thinking about going back to 4.7 and trying to download the new update from verizon directly from their site seeing as how they just decided to PIN me letting me know this morning that the update is ready.

Got a buddy with the same issues as you...java errors after reboot and facebook not showing up after installation.  My suggestion is a clean wipe and reinstall of the OS 5.0.  

0 Likes