On a family plan switching to data plan soon
Lm1

I am currently on a 5 person family plan, and want to switch to a data plan (just me).  I was told at verizon I am able to do so with just one line,  I understand I will have to purchase the $30 a month data plan but will that be all I need to do? Will I still be included in my families original minutes/texting plan etc?

Also, I know Verizon is currently advertising for a free activation fee if you buy a blackberry now & that many are under $100 (and this is only through Dec 28th). How much is the activation fee and will my new 2 yr phone upgrade be more expensive when those two offers go away? 

Finally, is it smarter/beneficial to switch to a blackberry device online? Will I save more money? After reading some of the forums it seems doing it online has some benefits.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: On a family plan switching to data plan soon
Lm1

One more thing, when they show the red writing saying "w/ 2 yr activation plan only $99.99" is that only for the main account holder? 

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

I assume the 99.99 is the price of the phone. The only thing that will change will be, You will have a new 2 year contract, and there will be a 29.99 extra charge on your bill for the DATA package. All your other lines will not be effected and everything will be the same as it was except for your DATA plan.

0 Likes
PROB1

I currently have 6 phones on my Family Plan, actually 5 on the Family Plan plus 1 Stand-Alone plan attached to the main group.  When you purchase the new smartphone it will replace your phone in the original 5, then you will add a data plan ($29.99 for a BlackBerry) for your phone only.  You will be obligated to keep your smartphone for 2 years or pay early termination fees.  I think you will save money on your monthly bill if you leave the smartphone on your family plan.  The family plan will only cost you $9.99 monthly for phone service and you share the bucket of minutes with the family rather than paying $39.99 monthly for 450 minutes a month for the stand-alone line. Either way you are going to have to pay the additional $29.99 for data on that phone.  I have 2 adult children on my family plan and am looking forward to the day that one of them gets their own plan so that I can share the 1200 minutes as well as friends & family.  This will save me about $30.00 a month and I won't have to be as concerned about usage.  As far as ordering on-line, personally I'd go to the Verizon store.  By going to the store, I can handle the phone and make sure I like it, because its going to be my new best friend for the next 2 years.  The sales person will transfer contacts, pictures, etc. from the old phone to that shiny new BlackBerry.  Lastly if you order it on-line you'll have to wait for it to arrive and an adult will have to be waiting by the door all day to sign for it or they won't leave it.  Hope that helps. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes