Memory
garroy

What is the difference between the device memory and the application memory? I want to besure to download the apps. To the correct one as to not slow down the device. Thanks garroy

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Memory
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

garroy wrote:

What is the difference between the device memory and the application memory? I want to besure to download the apps. To the correct one as to not slow down the device. Thanks garroy

Hi,

When someone refers to a Blackberry's device memory, they are referring to the phone's total flash memory.  For example, the Tour comes with 256mb of flash memory.  The device memory is where applications are placed for use on the device by the user.  The term application memory refers to how much of the device flash memory is being used.  For example, my Tour has about 82mb free memory.  Basically, the two terms are the same when referring to a Blackberry device.  There also is storage memory in the form of a mini SD card.  Applications can not be run from the card.  It can be used to store files, documents, songs, etc.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

garroy wrote:

Hi,

When someone refers to a Blackberry's device memory, they are referring to the phone's total flash memory.  For example, the Tour comes with 256mb of flash memory.  The device memory is where applications are placed for use on the device by the user.  The term application memory refers to how much of the device flash memory is being used.  For example, my Tour has about 82mb free memory.  Basically, the two terms are the same when referring to a Blackberry device.  There also is storage memory in the form of a mini SD card.  Applications can not be run from the card.  It can be used to store files, documents, songs, etc.

Doc

0 Likes
garroy

Thanks, Do you know how much flash memory there is in the storm2 ?:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Storm2 has 256mb of flash memory

0 Likes
stnick

I just upgraded to OS 5.0 now I am very low on memory. I downloaded 12 apps and was using quick pull. I had to delete quick pull because of lockups. I show 4.8 mb of available memory but my sd card has 793 mb of free space. If I cannot download apps to sd card, am I limited to 12 apps?

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

stnick wrote:

I just upgraded to OS 5.0 now I am very low on memory. I downloaded 12 apps and was using quick pull. I had to delete quick pull because of lockups. I show 4.8 mb of available memory but my sd card has 793 mb of free space. If I cannot download apps to sd card, am I limited to 12 apps?

Yes, you have used all of the available memory on your device if you are down to 4.8mb.  I have found in order for a Blackberry to run decently, you need to keep at least 10 mb free.  The available memory on your SC card won't do you any good.  What you need to do is archive the apps you use the least to your SD card via Blackberry App World.  Then you will have more free memory.  You could then reactivate which ever app you want when you need it.  That's your only choice for now. 

Doc

0 Likes