Is there a calender app for firefighter shift work, to show our shift days?
ff250emt

Does anyone know of a calender app to modify for shift work for firefighters? I work one day and off two days.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is there a calendar app for firefighter shift work, to show our shift days?
EdMart
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes and No.  No app but the calendar in the BB can be used to track shift.  There are two ways to do it. 

Simplest is to mark the shift as an all day event - that means midnight to midnight - a compromise but it works.  Then go to recurring and set it up as DAILY, every 3 days, mark it to end NEVER and that's it.

If you want to have it run from start to end of shift, create the first shift by setting the date and start time, for end change the date to the next day and set the end time.  Again go to recurring, DAILY, every 3 days, end NEVER.

The draw back to running it on shift start/end time is that the calendar display may appear cluttered since two of every three days will have you on shift (start day - end day).

For myself, I preferred the 'all day event' since shift start/end doesn't change and I only wanted to highlight the shift days.

Good Luck - Be Safe

Ed

0 Likes
Re: Is there a calender app for firefighter shift work, to show our shift days?
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

ff250emt wrote:

Does anyone know of a calender app to modify for shift work for firefighters? I work one day and off two days.

Hey,

A fellow EMT.  I use the regular function of the Blackberry calendar to track my work schedule on my Tour.  You can do as the previous person stated, but I go a little further and actually plug in the times I am at work.  This prevents me from scheduling anything during the time I am working.  You can set it up and see how it works for you.  I found it works really well for me.

Doc

0 Likes
Re: Is there a calender app for firefighter shift work, to show our shift days?
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

ff250emt wrote:

Hi,

I just thought of one other thing.  (Drinking my Folger's, so things are starting to come to me the more I drink).  I don't know how many of your fellow FF/EMTs use a Blackberry, but you can set up a group calendar to use that would be a common calendar that would appear on each person in the group and would be a seperate color than your personal calendar events on your phone.  This could be done from Blackberry Messenger or another messaging service such as AIM or Yahoo or Google Talk.  Obviously with the Blackberry Messenger, everyone would have to have a Blackberry, but with say, Google Talk, others with another smartphone such as the iPhone could join a group you set up from within Google Talk and then you can set up calendar events or even post changes to the calendar such as someone filling in for another person during a particular time shift.  The folks on my shift in the ER use Blackberry devices and we do this with Blackberry Messenger.  It works really well.  Anyways, thought I would throw this out.  And good luck in a well chosen but highly underpaid career as a FF/EMT.  I've been a Paramedic since 1988 and an RN for the last 5 years. 

Doc

0 Likes