Is Verizon going to approve and release the Oreo update for the KEYone?
Emaderton3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Will Verizon approve and release the Oreo update for the KEYone that was provided by BlackBerry Mobile?  I am asking now because it is clear that their relationship has continued since Verizon has now added the KEY2 LE to its open development program (Verizon Open Development | device).  I don't understand why you would whitelist and allow the KEYone on your network but not provide the updates promised to the customer.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon going to approve and release the Oreo update for the KEYone?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Emaderton3,

We understand the importance of wanting to have the benefits of getting a software update on your phone as soon as possible. Since the updates are released at different times for different devices it is possible to see some phones go a while without receiving an update. At this time we have no ETA on when the update will be released for this device but you can check here https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/software-updates/ for updates.

Candice_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Emaderton3
Enthusiast - Level 3

The BlackBerry KEYone does not appear on the software updates website.  It is an approved BYOD device (i.e., "whitelisted").  The software update has been released from BlackBerry Mobile awaiting Verizon approval for some time now.  If the phone is allowed on the network, then why will you not allow the software upgrade?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for your reply, Emaderton3. To clarify, you'll find additional details regarding software updates for Verizon devices when using the above link. Since the BlackBerry KEYone is an unlocked device as opposed to a Verizon branded device, we will not be releasing an update for this phone. All updates for your device will be released through BlackBerry directly. You may use the following link to contact BlackBerry Support for additional assistance: https://blck.by/2t0zivA . I hope this information is beneficial.

Lauren_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Emaderton3
Enthusiast - Level 3

BlackBerry Mobile has said all updates have been sent to carriers, and it is the carrier that must approve it.  I realize that this is not a Verizon phone, but it is whitelisted which means it is officially certified to run on your network.  Wouldn't you have to ensure compatibility with your network since you approve of the phone being used with your services?  Otherwise, if something went wrong, you would get flooded with support calls.  Surely Verizon tests any software updates to ensure compatibility on phones "approved" to be used on their network, no?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Emaderton3, we want to ensure that your device is working at all times. All updates are tested by us before we approve them to be sent out to our customers. That said, all updates are meant to help your device, not ruin it! We appreciate your patience while we send out another update to your device.  

Michelle_VZW

0 Likes
Emaderton3
Enthusiast - Level 3

So to be clear, you do test any software updates to whitelisted phones prior to their release?

mama23dogs
Legend

You might want to check with Crackberry and other BB direct sources.  Generally non carrier devices do not receive any carrier updates and any updates are not held back by carriers.  Carrier updates may happen, they do for Apple and google devices, but they are separate from security and OS updates.

0 Likes
Emaderton3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am an active member of CrackBerry, but there is no consensus as who is responsible for the update.  Verizon says it has to come from the manufacturer (yet states above that they do test them) while BlackBerry Mobile says that the update has been "released" and is up to the carrier to approve them.  There also seems to be a belief that Verizon is very careful even with whitelisted phones suggesting that they do test the software.  So, I am just trying to get a straight answer as to why it has not been upgraded.  Has Verizon refused the upgrade?  Sprint has recently said it will not upgrade the KEYone to Oreo (but it is one of their official phones).

mama23dogs
Legend

Well youre stuck in a bad place then.  Typically carriers do not provide a date if they are testing an update that is released through them.  

0 Likes