Google Maps does not use GPS on Blackberry Tour
mdb28

Blackberry tour v5.0.0.975

BB map uses GPS

A third party app uses GPS

Google maps V4.4.0 (latest available download from google) does not.  Uses triangulation.

On the GPS section of the "settings" only blackberry maps is available under maps/default service.

Install mult times; pulled battery etc.

?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Google Maps does not use GPS on Blackberry Tour
Spiral
Master - Level 1

mdb28 wrote:

Blackberry tour v5.0.0.975

BB map uses GPS

A third party app uses GPS

Google maps V4.4.0 (latest available download from google) does not.  Uses triangulation.

On the GPS section of the "settings" only blackberry maps is available under maps/default service.

Install mult times; pulled battery etc.

?

The last two updates from Google Maps have both been flawed.  In fact they pulled the link for ver 4.5.1 due to all the problems.  You are not the only one with this problem.  I recommend checking the Google site frequently to see when they roll out a fix and/or update to this problem.

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

Idk, I just tried version 4.4 and it found me within 3 meters. I didn't think you could get within 200 meters using cell tower triangulation.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

I have a Bold 9650 with 5.0.0.975 OS and Google Maps 4.5.1.  With my device GPS activated, it shows my location within 3 meters.  If I exit Google Maps, turn off my GPS on my device and go back into Google Maps, it shows my position triangulated within 30 meters.  Obviously Google Maps uses triangulation if GPS is not activated or available on your device.  The Blackberry software only allows Blackberry Maps to be the default mapping app, just as it only allows the Blackberry Browser to be the only browser you can set as default.  I hope this helps answer the OP's question.

Doc

0 Likes