Re: Email setup
jpsjewel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Let's forget for a moment that this is a work email address.  As I mentioned before, I want to use settings for an IMAP email server to get emails delivered to my Blackberry.  I can't add the address using the phone or the Internet.

You and Joel are insisting that I need to purchase a BES plan for $44.95 to do this.

I'd like to remind you that Hotmail, Gmail, and Yahoo, among others, all have settings for IMAP servers.  Are you saying that anyone who wants to connect to one of those servers also needs a BES data plan?  I seriously doubt it.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

jpsjewel wrote:

... I'd like to remind you that Hotmail, Gmail, and Yahoo, among others, all have settings for IMAP servers.  Are you saying that anyone who wants to connect to one of those servers also needs a BES data plan? ...

No, what they are saying is that IF your work email is on an exchange server, or enterprise system, THEN you would need the BES plan to access the email via your Blackberry.  If your work email uses another system, then you may or may not be able to access the email on your Blackberry - find out from your IT dept what the requirements are for accessing the email remotely.

0 Likes
jpsjewel
Enthusiast - Level 2

The IT department has stated that the setup would be just like any other IMAP email account assuming that I didn't want to sync calendars or contacts.  I don't.

Which gets me back to my original issue that I can't create an IMAP email address using either the Blackberry or Internet.

0 Likes
Not applicable

jpsjewel,

I understand your frustration over this issue and like SuzyQ said, you would only need the $44.99 plan if your company has a BES. Since you are using IMAP, you won't need that plan. When you try to setup your email, do you get an option to manually add the email settings? I would suggest trying to set it up online. You will first need to create a username and password for your BIS account. You can do this by going to Email Settings on the phone, pressing the menu key, then Create Username and Password. You can then use this login information on the Blackberry Internet Service admin page here. It is normally a little easier to setup the account online. Here is a link to our support site which shows how to setup email from the website. 

Let us know if you need further assistance. 

0 Likes
jpsjewel
Enthusiast - Level 2

As I mentioned in a previous post:

"I tried using the setup for BIS to see if that would work but no luck.  If I try from a PC, I get an error message saying that I can't use the browser, try my device instead.  If I try using the Blackberry, I go into an infinite loop where it keeps going back to the BIS setup screen for adding a new user.  No errors, no messages, it just loops back to the setup screen."

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Jpsjewel,

Is your work email account through your company's server? For example, is it name@your employer.com? If this is the case, you would need the $44.99 package described earlier in this post, and your IT department would need to assist in setting it up. If it is Hotmail, Yahoo, etc., you should be able to set it up on the device. (Once they place you in their server to activate Options>advanced options> Enterprise activation)

I hope this information is helpful. Have a great day!

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

I attached a document from Blackberry that is a .pdf concering adding all types of email accounts.  You may want to browse through it and see if anything applies to your needs.  I hope you get this issue resolved soon.

Doc

0 Likes
jpsjewel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the documentation.  It looks like my temporary solution of forwarding my emails will have to do since I'm not willing to pay extra to have access to this email account.  I'll consider the issue solved even though it's not the ideal solution.

0 Likes
jpsjewel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I forgot to thank everyone who responded to my issue in my previous post.

I appreciate the effort from everyone who tried to help.  Thanks all!

0 Likes