Can I use wireless WIFI on a 9650 at home and save data usage
Gunit

Hi,

I am ordering a 9650, and have a wireless network at home. I was going to go with the $15 data plan, because i use email mostly. Someone said I could use wifi on my wireless network at home for web pages to save data not going thru the verizon network? I am new to this, can you really do this?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I use wireless WIFI on a 9650 at home and save data usage
SydneyK
Master - Level 3
Yes, you can definitely use Wi-Fi at home. Plus BlackBerrys are very data-efficient, so you might be OK with the 150MB plan. I don't have Wi-Fi on my BB, and I only use more data than that if I use BB Messenger a lot or stream media. Enjoy your Bold!
0 Likes
Gunit

Thanks

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Gunit wrote:

Hi,

I am ordering a 9650, and have a wireless network at home. I was going to go with the $15 data plan, because i use email mostly. Someone said I could use wifi on my wireless network at home for web pages to save data not going thru the verizon network? I am new to this, can you really do this?

Thanks

Hi,

I think you made a great choice ordering the 9650 Bold.  You can probably save a lot of money on the data plan by using the 15 dollar/month plan.  You can do a lot with your BB with just the WiFi.  I turned my WiFi on and turned off the mobile connection and was able to send/recieve emails, chat on Blackberry Messenger, and surf the internet.  For me, using my home WiFi is a lot faster that using the mobile network.  My only advice is to regularly check your My Verizon for your usage on data to make sure you are not going over the max usage for your plan.  Good luck.

Doc

0 Likes
javajulie0

when you turn off the mobile network, you can't get or receive phone calls, correct?  JW

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

JW,

Hey, you are correct.  If the mobile network is off, you can not send or recieve calls, SMS, or MMS messages.  What you would want to do is go to Options>Mobile Network and set Data Services to OFF.  Then, you can make and recieve calls, only no data via the mobile network.  Hope this helps,

Doc

0 Likes