Can I set ringtones for my contacts in the Blackberry Storm?
Cherisk8

I'm a Blackberry newbie and have some ringtones I'd like to set to my friends in my contact list like I did in my old phone. I can't seem to figure out how to do this? Is it possible in the Blackberry storm? I've only been able to set my ringtone and thats it.

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I set ringtones for my contacts in the Blackberry Storm?
Ready_Zoek

I have been able to set alerts for my contact based on your advise. Now I have run into the problem that when I put my "Sound Profile" on "Vibrate Only", all the people that I set up with a special "Alert" still uses the audible (ringtone) setting.

This is my example. I'm sitting in a meeting and cannot disrupt it with a ringtone. So I need to be able to place all incoming medias to a vibrate only setting regardless of who is trying to contact me. It is very embarrassing to have the phone ring during a very important meeting especially when it is a dog barking sound....

0 Likes
Pokey
The same thing happened to me at work.   I made a custom profile and set my own prefrences. Now I am completely silent during meeting.:smileyvery-happy:
0 Likes
EVO_Unlimited
Contributor - Level 2

I had the exact same problem, you must create a custom sound profile. I created two, one for vibrate, and one for loud. Name them whatever you like, set them up how you want, obviously with the vibrate one with vibration on and sound off etc.

Once they are set up, activate the vibration one you just created. Now, go into the setup for the contact you set the custom tones for, under there where the volume is select the option to use current profile. Now, whenever they call, whatever profile you have selected, it will use those settings for the volume.

Test it out to make sure you did it properly, by having them call. This should solve the problem.

I had the same issue, and when I tried to customize the already existing profiles, it would make the changes for all the profiles, not just the one I was editing, so the work around, was to create my own custom sound profiles.

Good luck, and let me know how you make out.

0 Likes
Ready_Zoek
How did you set it up? I still have the same problem with version: v4.7.0.148
0 Likes
EVO_Unlimited
Contributor - Level 2

From the main screen, portrait view. Click the little speaker in the upper left corner, like you normally would change the sound profile, at the bottom, you should see the option to create custom sound profiles.

Go there, name the profile what you want, I named mine "The Vibration"  Set all the volumes to silent and turn vibration on for all message forms and calls.

Save, then turn that profile on, (active) and go in to your custom contact ringer settings. You already know how to get here because you already put custom rcontact ringers on. Change the volume settings in the contacts ringer options to "Current Profile"

Now, when you have your custom profile active "The Vibration" all sounds, even the custom contacts ones will vibrate instead of noise.

Now, go and create a new custom sound profile for loud ringer sound. I named this one "The Loud One" lol

Set all volumes to medium or high, whatever you like, and if you choose you can leave vibration on or off. Save this profile.

Now, when you have the noisy profile active, all custom contact ringers will be noisy, and when the vibrating one is active, they will be silenced.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Ready_Zoek

Ok, I did all that, but I am still having my wife's special ringtone come through. This particular ringtone is one that I made using the "Voice Note" feature and saving that as a ringtone. Do you know if that would cause it to have an audible sound instead of vibrating?

0 Likes
EVO_Unlimited
Contributor - Level 2

I'm not sure if it being a voice tone has anything to do with it. All I can suggest now is to double check and make sure all the volume settings are correct for the custom contact tone. Make sure all volumes are set to current profile.

And make sure that for the profile you want low volume, that the volumes are set to silent, and vibrate is on.

I'm not sure how further to help you, You might want to consider taking it to a VZW store and having a tech take a look at it. Might be a glitch on your device, and it might have to be reloaded.

0 Likes