Can I install Android apps on my Blackberry Z30?
MustangMan-1

Need a double check on the following as I stayed with the Z30 to have the benefits of blackberry and android.

Received yesterday my Verizon Z30 (STA100-3) with OS 10.2.0.1233 and when I download an APK and tap to install it I receive the error "Unable to open appname.apk". On the Verizon forums folks are stating they can install APK files directly and it is not clear they have a newer version of OS then mine. What I have noticed on other posts is a recommendation to check application permissions as follows: "Settings>App Manager>Installing Apps> Allow Apps from Other Sources to be Installed>Yes". This is utterly missing on my Z30, or I cannot find it as it is not on the screen following the path above.

Is that setting not part of that build? Or is it not allowed by policy?

On my AT&T (dumped them for Verizon) Z10 I have been able to side load APK files converted to BAR files and they worked fine. So I tried to side load the APK files the same way I did on my Z10 and that fails as well. Next I shall try a BAR file will post the result.

Thanks fo rany help or advice.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Z30 with 10.2.0.1233 and installing Android applicaitons
BB_Power
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey man I see your having issues getting Android Apps on your BB.

There is a software upgrade that was released 3 weeks ago, yet Verizon has refused to push it for q10's and z30"s, Z10's have it. When we are able to get this update it will allow for the direct APK downloads to the device from a 3rd party app store such as amazon app store or 1market.

Until then in order to side load APK apps you can go to this site called goodereader ( here's the link http://apps.goodereader.com/apk-2-bar/)  You will have to download DDPB once you do that you can downloads apps that you want right from the site, have them converted and install on your Blackberry.  

There is a how to video if you get stuck anywhere its real easy. BTW there will be some apps that still wont work, and some wont work due to the lack of Google play services.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
BB_Power
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey man I see your having issues getting Android Apps on your BB.

There is a software upgrade that was released 3 weeks ago, yet Verizon has refused to push it for q10's and z30"s, Z10's have it. When we are able to get this update it will allow for the direct APK downloads to the device from a 3rd party app store such as amazon app store or 1market.

Until then in order to side load APK apps you can go to this site called goodereader ( here's the link http://apps.goodereader.com/apk-2-bar/)  You will have to download DDPB once you do that you can downloads apps that you want right from the site, have them converted and install on your Blackberry.  

There is a how to video if you get stuck anywhere its real easy. BTW there will be some apps that still wont work, and some wont work due to the lack of Google play services.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
jhanks64
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've found that using Sachesi is much easier for updating the OS and also installing .bar files.  It's very easy to use.

Introduction to Sachesi: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-leaked-beta-os-f395/sachesi-firmware-extractor-searcher-installer-...

0 Likes
MustangMan-1

I was able to install a BAR file I had I will now try the good-e-reader apps and wait for the the update.

Thanks for the response.

0 Likes
jsanders
Enthusiast - Level 3

Another good source of very clear and detailed instructions on using Snap to install apk file is located here:

You Upgraded to OS 10.2.1 and want to run Android

0 Likes
roller2442
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's sad that any customer needs to revert to any 3rd party source, when they do business with the alleged "best wireless" company. Any OS prior to 10.2.1 is considered deprecated due to the significant advantages of the update.

Verizon should understand that offering the update in a timely manner, could only be advantageous and prudent.

No one will recieve the update until they click to download it. So why on earth are you keeping it from someone who is paying to have it available. Seriously considering cancellation after 1 week.

0 Likes
jhanks64
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately, this is a common issue with all of the carriers.  In this one instance, Verizon released the update first.  Not sure about Sprint, but AT&T and T-Mobile have not released any updates at all in months.  Switching to another carrier won't make things any better for the customer, except going from one crappy support system to another.

BlackBerry has done it's job for the most part, releasing updates to fix bugs and add features.  Most of the carriers have ignored the updates and lied to customers, saying that they are waiting on BlackBerry.

To be fair, Android phones have the same issues on all carriers, many of them never get updates.  Apple is the only phone maker that seems to have forced the carriers to allow updates to come from Apple directly.  Of course, they often screw up the updates and mess up peoples phones too.

0 Likes
MustangMan-1

Downloading that app turned into a nightmare as there are multiple download links and  they install some app that installs a root-kit which changes the search engine and is awful to remove.

so goodbye Goode-e-reader.

0 Likes
MustangMan-1

While on a call with Verizon support for an unrelated matter asked about the upgrade. I was told that Blackberry has effectively  total control over release of the upgrade. When asked about it being released and then pulled she told me a bug was discovered. She then stated that the re- release was expected any day and would be slow rolled out.

0 Likes
jsanders
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm afraid that tech support individual was either misinformed or just making stuff up. BlackBerry released the 10.2.1.2102 upgrade about two weeks ago. It is totally in Verizon's control at this point.

0 Likes