Bold 9650 Keyboard Paint Chipping
deetotallyrocks

Hello,

My problem is that my Bold 9650 which was purchased in late October is now having the paint coming off the #2/E and #5/D key. I've come to realize it's a common defect on this particular device for many, anyone else having this issue? I am thinking of getting a replace refurb phone from Asurion but I have read that even after 3 to even 4 devices people still go through this same issue, especially with the #2/E key being the most common. I am just hesitant because i don't want to pay the insurance claim replacement fee and then have to go through the same problems all over again but also getting a faulty BB with OS problems. Anyone gotten a replacement Bold 9650 from Asurion without any problems?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Bold 9650 Keyboard Paint Chipping
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

SoccerRef is correct.  Those things can cause paint wear on any device.  Another cause for paint chipping that I have found is long fingernails.  After a period of time, hard fingernails can cause the paint to chip or fade.  Just a thought.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kidcrash1234

I have been having the same problem, Took my phone to Verizon they informed me that it was a cosmetic problem and that I had to use my insurance, well I have been doing a little research and it DEFINITELY is a Black Berry issue due to the fact that there are more then 100 people that have the BB Bold and are having the same problem,  Not sure how to go about getting BB to fix the problem without having to use my insurance though.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

kidcrash1234 wrote:

I have been having the same problem, Took my phone to Verizon they informed me that it was a cosmetic problem and that I had to use my insurance, well I have been doing a little research and it DEFINITELY is a Black Berry issue due to the fact that there are more then 100 people that have the BB Bold and are having the same problem,  Not sure how to go about getting BB to fix the problem without having to use my insurance though.

While it may DEFINITELY be a BB issue, that does not mean it isn't a cosmetic problem. A cosmetic problem is something that does not affect the performance of the phone. Do the keys in question still work, or are they inoperative? If they still work, then it is a cosmetic problem and if not, then it is not a cosmetic problem.

0 Likes
LaurenNC84

The paint is chipping on my #2, 3, 4, 9, V, H, Y and I........and to top it off it is now doing what my old curve did which is the sound stopping on ringers and notifcations Smiley Sad and the only way to fix it which it only worked for a day is to remove the battery (the typical blackberry fix!)   I don't want to pay the insurance fee either and I think getting refurbished phones after paying as much as we do including insurance for the phones is RIDICULOUS! I purchased the phone early August...

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

Idk what is specifically causing your BB keys paint to chip or come off, but what immediately comes to mind is a common problem with computer keyboard keys is that certain hand lotion/sanitizers act like a solvent and will remove paint. Maybe??? I have a Tour, which has the same outsides as the Bold and have not experienced any paint chip problems.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

SoccerRef is correct.  Those things can cause paint wear on any device.  Another cause for paint chipping that I have found is long fingernails.  After a period of time, hard fingernails can cause the paint to chip or fade.  Just a thought.

Doc

0 Likes
deetotallyrocks

While the tour is exactly the same in many aspects as the Blackberry Bold 9650, I feel that perhaps it got a better craftsmanship on it's keyboard manufacturing. Many other users have experienced this problem and went ahead and paid the insurance fee to replace the device. My new Blackberry has been working flawlessly, even better than my first 9650 and the keys are in pristine condition, which I am happy to say so very much. I make sure I use only my fingers and nothing else, since I agree that perhaps fingernails play a big part in helping the paint thin out and eventually start to chip away. I understand that many users have a concern about getting a refurbished device, but to be honest, mine came perfectly, I am amazed at how everything was new, you can't even tell it was EVER used. I suppose that's the point of a refurbished phone, but I felt like I was unboxing a whole brand new device when I got it. My question is, why opt for the insurance if you are not willing to pay a replacement fee of $89.00? I understand that we pay enough as it is and times are a bit tough right now to just shell out yet more cash for Asurion, but then why have insurance? While I understand it might be due to either loosing it one day, water damaging it, or getting it stolen and THEN filing an insurance claim, I still have to admit the cosmetic problem ended up bothering me more than I thought it would so I chose to simply file and get my replacement. I am beyond happy that I did and I can assure you that Asurion sent me a problem-free device. Now I can't wait to get the official release of OS 6 and fall in love much more with my Blackberry 9650. As for my thoughts on the iPhone 4G, I must say that it's an awesome device but after trying to adjust to as much as 4 touchscreen-only devices, I finally accepted the fact that I MUST have a physical keyboard. I have yet to sell my Droid X which is sitting in my closet collecting dust since I decided to maybe stick with it just in case my awesome Blackberry encounters an issue, which I am hoping it won't, ever. Since the keyboard is a must for me, I just have to have it in perfect condition otherwise it would drive me insane, it's simply too beautiful to have it chipping away as the months go by. There is not one day that goes by without me admiring my 9650 and I make sure to take care of it as much as possible as I don't want any other cosmetic flaws to ensue. Thank you everyone for replying to my thread, I appreciate it. Now, Blackberry OS 6 we can hardly wait for your official release, let's do this!

0 Likes