Blackberry data plans and touch versus qwerty
all4mineagain

My daughter wants a blackberry storm but I don't want to pay and extra $15 or whatever it is a month for the data plan.  Do I have to do that?  Is there a way to block the data usage on a new phone, or can we just pay by the mb?  I'm kind of concerned about how much this could end up costing me.

Second question - I want a blackberry myself because I want easier texting, and maybe to avoid bringing a laptop with me everywhere I travel.  I am willing to pay the extra for the data plan for myself.  For texting - which do you prefer and why - the touch screen or the qwerty buttons?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Blackberry data plans and touch versus qwerty
hazex00110

Great questions!

First, it's $29.99 for email & data for blackberry/PDA phones. There is no way around it. If you activate a blackberry it's required. Part of owning a blackberry is the amazing ease of use and support that come with it. You wouldn't get these things without the data package. Unlike most any phone, blackberry's are constantly updating and communicating data. A block would be a serious handicap to the phone and something that is not offered. without the data plan you'd be looking at HUGE amounts of data and at $0.002/KB it adds up.

Typing style is going to be a personal preference. With the Storm you get Multi-tap, Sure Type AND a full keyboard all digital and all avaialable to you. If you go with the storm all you have is the full keyboard.

0 Likes
GaryM

I wanted to advise you VERY strongly against getting the Storm.  I have had it since day one (I was one of the stupid people in line at 6:30 in the morning to get one) and am on my third one.  I have kept up with all of the software updates and do all of the recommended things that Verizon suggests doing and it is easily the worst, buggiest phone I have ever had (I have five lines with Verizon and swear by their service, so I'm not against them at all - just against the Storm).

You DO have three different types of keyboard with the Storm in portrait or landscape (at least with the last couple of software updates), but the touch piece works VERY poorly.  If you have ever used an iPhone/iPod Touch and are expecting a similar "Touch" experience, you won't get it.

I was much happier with the BlackBerry World Edition 8830.  It has the physical keyboard with it (not unlike the Tour - which has great reviews - or the other BlackBerries) and I never had any major problems to report.

Best of luck to you in whatever you do decide - but the Storm was released WAY before it was ready for prime-time.

0 Likes
all4mineagain

Thanks for your responses.  I definitely want a world phone for myself, and originally thought I wanted actual buttons, but was thinking maybe a touch screen would be easier for fat fingers.  Ideally, I would like a keyboard I can text on without looking at it, just like my computer keyboard. 

My daughter is the one who wants the blackberry storm, but I see no reason why a 12 year old needs a blackberry.  I am willing to get her a touch screen phone if she wants however. 

0 Likes