Blackberry and apps that require access to gps -- Better to choose a different provider !!
Dee128

I am sooo regretful that my Blackberry provider is Verizon.  I bought a GPS because Verizon will not allow other apps to use the built in gps UNLESS you pay the $10/month -- and I'm not even sure they'll work then. 

THEN today I find out that a website I subscribe to offers a 'iMap my Run' for Blackberry for runners/walkers to use.  As I'm getting excited about the prospect, I see that sentence "NOT SUPPORTED BY VERIZON"   That's right the ONLY provider that will not allow the app is Verizon.

My son is thinking about getting a Blackberry and switching from his provider (a competitor).  I was actually happy and hoping he would.  BUT this reminded me why I should discourage him from choosing Verizon. 

Sooo.... if you think you wanna Blackberry; it's best to look elsewhere.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Blackberry and apps that require access to gps -- Better to choose a different provider !!
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.  I see from your post that you have a Blackberry Curve.  I feel your frustration about the GPS.  Many owners of those Blackberry devices like yours have written about their frustrations too here in the forums.  I know on my Pearl I had the same problem.  When I moved up to the Tour, I found the Tour had GPS that works pretty much with all different programs that I downloaded.  I think this issue is being done away with as the newer models are released.  I know that does nothing to help your problem.  I am hoping as software updates for the Curve come out, the GPS will be eventually unlocked for 3rd party apps like the one you mentioned.  My son has a Curve and has the same problems, so I understand.

Doc

0 Likes
Re: Blackberry and apps that require access to gps -- Better to choose a different provider !!
MacDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

StreetDocRN wrote:

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.  I see from your post that you have a Blackberry Curve.  I feel your frustration about the GPS.  Many owners of those Blackberry devices like yours have written about their frustrations too here in the forums.  I know on my Pearl I had the same problem.  When I moved up to the Tour, I found the Tour had GPS that works pretty much with all different programs that I downloaded.  I think this issue is being done away with as the newer models are released.  I know that does nothing to help your problem.  I am hoping as software updates for the Curve come out, the GPS will be eventually unlocked for 3rd party apps like the one you mentioned.  My son has a Curve and has the same problems, so I understand.

Doc

Yup, My Storm works with any GPS app, only the older Berry's are stuck. :smileysad:

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

MacDaddy is correct.  All Verizon phones with 4.7 and later software have unlocked GPS. 

0 Likes
JCM
Enthusiast - Level 3
Hello, GREAT NEWS!!! THE NEW BLACKBERRY CURVE JUST CAME OUT CALIENTE TODAY.. TELL YOUR SON TO GET IT.. YYAAY!!! Woohoo has GPS WIFI 2.camera. Aint that awesome or what. Benas niches amigos.
0 Likes
Dee128

StreetDocRN wrote:

Hi,

MacDaddy is correct.  All Verizon phones with 4.7 and later software have unlocked GPS. 

Do you think third party apps would work on my curve if I updated the software on the device? 

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

not all of the third party gps related apps work on the new curve.  I still think they have to be approved to get the technical information needed.  Which is probably why that running app says it isn't supported by Verizon. 

0 Likes