Blackberry Storm problems
activern

Since there are too many posts to read through, I will start a new complaint.  I purchased this phone at cost price since I did not qualify for an upgrade - I already had a Verizon account.  Unknowingly and excited about the product features, I added another phone to my account for my son since he moves around quite a bit.

Lo and behold, my computer savvy son saw the problems with his phone sooner than a couple of weeks of purchasing it - exception errors, dropped calls, syncing problems - you name it.  I did not use my phone quite as much since I am tied to a desktop most of my days - but slowly and surely the same problems occurred and today, it is almost impossible with incoming calls - they are dropped like sprayed flies.  Syncing has been a problem from day one and the Blackberry program is very unfriendly to users; since May 11, 2009 I cannot store incoming or outgoing calls and embarrassed when I tell my new contacts "do not worry - I got your phone number".  I can go on and on.

Trust me I plan to call Verizon today or tomorrow [today if they are available] and I do not intend to put up with this guinea pig!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Blackberry Storm problems
EarthUnderSky
Contributor - Level 2

Hello activern,

Welcome to the forum of displeased Storm owners... I'm sympathetic to your concerns.... However, all is not lost. You do have a few options. First let me start by saying that since you are on the current MR1 Operating System that VZW officially recognizes you will probably want to do a battery pull on that device at least 1 time a day. Another piece of advice I would give to you to help with your calls dropping would be to dial *22899 on you device and push send.

When it comes to syncing the dive with Desktop Manager you will probably need to clear your cache and do a security wipe before syncing. To clear the cache find the browser icon on your touchscreen. Push this icon the push your Menu(Blackberry)button. Select Options then select Cache Operations. From this screen clear all the tabs you see. Now to do a security wipe select Options from the main applications screen. Scroll down the list a select Security Options. Then select Memory Cleaning. From here push your menu button and select clean now. This should help to sync with the DM

Okay...So on to your options..Well you could find other means to upgrade your OS without waiting for VZW. There are many resources around as well as many people that would be willing to help you upgrade your OS including myself. I am currently on 4.7.0.148 which is currently being tested by VZW. My understanding about this particular OS  is that VZW should rap up testing on this OS today and if it gets approved that it would be out by next week. I like the .148 OS still has a few minor bugs but it is very stable a rigid. Compatible with 95% of the current 3rd party apps that our out for the Storm. What people need to understand about the MR2 is that when it goes into effect, many people will begin to have issues with the upgrade. This is normal. This is first generation...All of VZW techs are going to have to be trained to handle the massive amounts of calls that are going to be coming in when the MR2 goes into affect whether it's .148 or another build. The point is VZW probably wants to do this one time and one time only. Lots of money on the line. But rest assured, when this build gets released it will be tons better than what is current.

Your other option is to take it back and get something else. I'll go back to my previous statement....THIS IS FIRST GENERATION.

I studied this device for months before it hit the market and debated with myself....Did I want to be the pig.....well at first I ranted as well. But I'm not going to blame VZW anymore. It's not entirely there fault. Not entirely RIM's fault either. It's the nature of technology.

When the Storm 2 releases, I'll be the first in line to get it. I want any one to tell me about any other phone besides another BB that you can manipulate the OS's the way you can a BB. Does iPhone allow you to make changes to it's OS?

Well I hope you and anyone else that read this keeps an open mind about what they bought.

If there's anything I can help you with activern PM me please.

Regards, Michael 

0 Likes
activern
Thanks for your info
0 Likes
BSoard

Thanks Earth.  I also am experiencing Storm displeasure.  But, thanks to you I've changed my plans to toss the storm and get the BB 8330; at least for now.  I didn't know much about VZW products when I decided to go with the Storm and relied on the store salesperson's opinion to make my decision.  My bad!  I have nine days left before my 30 day satisfaction guarantee expires so I've decided to tough it out for a little while longer in hopes that an updated do will be released by vzw.

I put my old HTC 8125 pocket PC from AT&T in the drawer and was (and still am) excited about the potential of the storm.  Hopefully vzw will release the update and I won't have to go back to ma bell to get the I-Phone.

Wouldn't it be better for vzw to release an imperfect but improved os rather than nothing at all.  I think so, and if my web search is an indicator a lot of other folks think so too.

First generation, guenea pig, whatever you call want to call it vzw needs to step up and do something now.  The least they can do is admit the problem and stop selling the storm until its fixed.

Message Edited by BSoard on 05-25-2009 07:01 PM
Message Edited by BSoard on 05-25-2009 07:04 PM
0 Likes
EarthUnderSky
Contributor - Level 2

BSoard wrote:

Wouldn't it be better for vzw to release an imperfect but improved os rather than nothing at all.  I think so, and if my web search is an indicator a lot of other folks think so too.

Your Welcome BSoard,
I understand the frustration. Here's what's the dilemma....Say VZW drops MR2 out for all BIS and BES customers currently running the Storm device. Now all VZR technical support groups are ready for the inundation af service calls they are about to receive. Many users of the device won't understand why there browser is missing or why the SMS and MMS icons don't appear anymore or the radio is turned off....I could go on and on. Especially BES customers...Their IT policy won't allow them to make many changes inside the OS say these corporate IT guys better be ready.. So now let's throw in the fact that many of these users didn't backup there device for a while if at all. Now the MR2 gets pushed and BIS customers are wondering were did my contacts go, how about any saved messages, you mean I've got to reregister all my 3rd party apps again, hey my theme that I paid $7.00 for is missing....and on and on. Wow that was a mouth full.
Now let's look at the fact's VZW is currently testing v4.7.0.148. Which I am very impressed with FYI. However, the builds for the 4.7 platform have been stopped at v4.7.0.2xx. So that means that VZW can test all these builds until they find a build that will satisfy most of the current issues with the Storm with one shot instead of investing all the time and money into training all the VZW techs on several different builds over and over again. If VZW passed say .122 like Telus did they would have wound up pushing another MR to fix those bugs that all of us would be crabbing about again. We would complain some more VZW would test more builds and train their techs. In the words of Yogi Berra..."It's like Deja Vu, all over again..."
IMHO I think VZW will pass .148 and this will give VZW time to test the later builds if they choose for a future MR3. Won't see it until after the Storm 2(Odin) release but at least VZW will have another build to choose from for a later push.

Just my 0.02 cents
Have a good day....
Respectfully, Michael 

0 Likes