BREW text msgs
cowboy774
All this weekend I keep getting txt msgs on my BB.   It says BREW followed by a long string of alphanumeric text.  It does say to reply with STOP to stop receiving this msg.  Anyone have a clue as to what this is?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: BREW text msgs
cowboy774

Thank you for answering.  I was at a VZ store today and showed the BREW msg to the Tech people.  They said they never seen it before but they think it may be spam texts coming thru.  They disabled premium texts for my BB and said it should help.

5 minutes later I got 3 more.  I got these on my regular phone as well.  Its only annoying as all hell bc they arrive every 5 minutes or so.  I am gonna re-read all those posts you sent me and see what I can do.

Thank you

0 Likes
cowboy774

For what its worth, below is an example of a message I am getting.

//BREW:0104F4BC:OZMAIL CI=3F2D19D9A359D6299E3E3A54F8447FEB MC=1 To stop receiving these notifications, reply STOP to this message.

Spoke to VZ's tech support over the phone.  These text msgs are popping up as international text msgs and I am being charged .25 for each one.  I received 25 this weekend.  VZ confirms I dont have the ability to dial internationally so they will credit my account.

0 Likes
EarthUnderSky
Contributor - Level 2

Hello cowboy,

Glad to see that you stuck with it and managed to get a handle of the situation. I would of been like WTH if my statement had come in with all that junk all over it. I'm positive after reading those post that there is an answer in there. From what I read in those post, it has something to do with a previous subscription on a prior phone/device that you may have had. I may be way off base so forgive me if I'm wrong. Won't be the last time.

Good Luck...

Regards, Michael 

0 Likes
dagumcp
The tag 'OZMAIL' makes me think this is specifically the Mobile Email BREW application which was made by OZ Communications. I just got one of these messages this morning and have not opened it. I'm going to call tech support and get all the info I can. I'm wondering if this is a coincidence or if it is related to me turning on my old phone a couple days ago, which I hadn't done since I installed Mobile Email on my new phone.
0 Likes
cowboy774

In my case, the BREW messages I was receiving were international text messages.  In the text msg, it said to stop receiving these messages reply STOP to the message.  I did reply multiple times to these messages because for about 2 days I was getting them every 10 minutes or so.  I found out that I was being charged by VZW for receiving and sending these international text msgs.  When I called VZW they credited my account.  It was like $15 worth of text msgs.  I have not had any more BREW msgs in over a week so maybe all is good.

0 Likes