BIS vs. BES
rayneman

I've searched but haven't found quite the answer I was hoping to find.

I understand the difference between BIS and BES...what I am slightly confused about is if I would like my work/corporate mail accessible on my BB, will everything else go through their server (e.g. browsing, personal mail, IM, etc...)?

So, if I had the BES plan on my BB, everthing data-wise runs through my employer and not the VZW network?

If I have the BIS plan, then everything would run through VZW but I  cannot get my work email? 

With BIS is there a way for my employer to add my BB device to their enterprise servers for email, and then everything else runs thru VZW?

Thanks for any help,

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: BIS vs. BES
EarthUnderSky
Contributor - Level 2

Hello rayneman,

Well sounds like you've done your home work....So let me help to clear your questions up. Bis runs through RIM's servers...Browser,Messenger,Data your 1X or voice service runs through VZW. Now BES not only does the same as BIS, you just have added in your employers server into the mix as well. So now on BES it would be out of your device>company server>RIM server>back to company server> back to your device.

I am currently on BIS and yet I still receive all of my work related email onto my device....

Here's the link if you want to stay on the BIS:

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

I would call this number and have the CSR help you to set up the email account the first time. The number is 800-922-0204.

Now once this is set up you may add up to 10 email accounts to your device. I don't think you will be able to sync your calendar directly unless you sync with a gmail account or something to that affect. The other way to sync calendars would be to hardwire sync with your USB cable and desktop Manager.

Hope this helps...Good Luck

Regards, Michael 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
EarthUnderSky
Contributor - Level 2

Hello rayneman,

Well sounds like you've done your home work....So let me help to clear your questions up. Bis runs through RIM's servers...Browser,Messenger,Data your 1X or voice service runs through VZW. Now BES not only does the same as BIS, you just have added in your employers server into the mix as well. So now on BES it would be out of your device>company server>RIM server>back to company server> back to your device.

I am currently on BIS and yet I still receive all of my work related email onto my device....

Here's the link if you want to stay on the BIS:

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

I would call this number and have the CSR help you to set up the email account the first time. The number is 800-922-0204.

Now once this is set up you may add up to 10 email accounts to your device. I don't think you will be able to sync your calendar directly unless you sync with a gmail account or something to that affect. The other way to sync calendars would be to hardwire sync with your USB cable and desktop Manager.

Hope this helps...Good Luck

Regards, Michael 

0 Likes
rayneman

Great, thanks for the good information.  Normally I'd go to our IT guys for some of this, but my company now wants people to not only have Blackberry service, but they want the employee to use a company-supplied unit via T Mobile.  Personally, I don't want to have to to worry about a personal vs. work phone so they do allow us to use our own device and carrier, with the only difference being they reimburse us for that while the corp. phones are paid directly by the company and not first by the employee.

So if I understand correctly, it is possibly to have my work email delivered to my phone while being subscribed to BIS.  That's good news. 

0 Likes