BB Tour "Technical Issue"
iamnotat

Hi,

Recently I upgraded to OS.519 and yesterday, I took my phone out of my pocket to find the screen was blank with the message "Technical Issue Please return to place of purchase for repair."  I was wondering if anyone else has been having this issue.  I have downgraded OSs and tried to upgrade back to OS 5 and get that message everytime I upgrade, wheter it is OTA or from desktop manager.  I have only installed apps from the blackberry app store, namely a golf gps system, gwabbit and pandora.  Is there another version of OS 5 that I can use? I really like the sms threading that it did.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: BB Tour "Technical Issue"
Lee-Lee
Contributor - Level 3

You can check and see if there is another OS update that you can use try this link:http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/download.aspx?ct=personal: hope this is of some help to you.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

iamnotat wrote:

Hi,

Recently I upgraded to OS.519 and yesterday, I took my phone out of my pocket to find the screen was blank with the message "Technical Issue Please return to place of purchase for repair."  I was wondering if anyone else has been having this issue.  I have downgraded OSs and tried to upgrade back to OS 5 and get that message everytime I upgrade, wheter it is OTA or from desktop manager.  I have only installed apps from the blackberry app store, namely a golf gps system, gwabbit and pandora.  Is there another version of OS 5 that I can use? I really like the sms threading that it did.

Hi,

Do me a favor.  Install the official Verizon 5.0 current OS on your Tour and do not load any 3rd party apps.  Let it run for a few hours and see what happens.  If it is running smoothly, then, one at a time, add your apps.  Allow a little time between each, perhaps an hour or so to see if the Tour runs smooth.  Note any changes as you add apps.  It sounds like a 3rd party app might be causing your problems.  If you don't mind, report back here to let us know what you find out.  Also, perhaps a list of your 3rd party apps and the version number of each might be helpful.  This could help somebody else having the same problem.

Thanks in advance,

Doc

0 Likes
miketf

This is a KNOWN issue.  BACKUP your phone ASAP!!!

A search on the web doesn't turn up much and Verizon is being awfully quiet about it.  Verizon deems it to be a RIM issue and not Verizon's.  I got news for you...I  bought my phone from Verizon and they're the one who bills me each month.  They're as much responsible as RIM.

See this discussion.

My BB Tour crashed today and while I was in the Verizon store two other people walked in with the exact same issue.  The BB crashes with the message "Technical Issue, Please return to the place of purchase for repair."  When I showed this screen to the folks at the Verizon store they immediately said "You did the recent update?"  I said yes and they simply said "We have to issue you a new phone."  No apology or "sorry for the inconvenience"...NOTHING.  Even when the woman handed me back my phone 45 minutes later she didn't say ANYTHING.  I had to ask her "is that it...I'm good to go?"  And she just nodded her head and said "yeah."

Verizon needs to IMMEDIATELY send each Tour owner (and they know who they are) a text message warning them of the possible crash and advising them to backup their phone ASAP.  But will they?  I doubt it.  It wouldn't look good for them.  Customer service is not what they're interested in.  Fortunately I had done a backup after applying the bad update and my contacts were restored easily.  But that's all I got back.

What really peeved me is that I paid $30 for a protective skin on my Tour that took me time to apply.  I now have to purchase that accessory all over again for this new phone.  If this had been my fault I wouldn't have a problem.  But it was a software update gone bad that not only caused me to lose the protective skin on my Tour but also caused me to lose time having to completely re-configuring this new phone. 

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

Sounds more like a "Hardware" than a software issue. If it was software why doesnt everyones say that? No one would be able to install and run it without this popping up. Know we know that rim has made a few minor changes to the trackballs and such with the "green dot" replacements. I think there is more going on here than meets the eye. I serioulsy doubt this is a VZ problem. All of the issues with the Tour is why I think it is already slated as "EOL" in there system and the next phone is labeled with a Bold branding.

0 Likes