erase data form bb curve
reverie

Hello,

I lost/someone stole my blackberry Curve 8530 last week. person found it and called me, but never returned it to me.

I have suspended the service and I have it password-protected before anyone can access my stuff

1- How secure is that password protection, I know after 10 unsuccessful tries theives will end up wiping the data

2- How do I REMOTELY erase data from the bb curve via desktop manager (or can vzw or bb company do it for me)

3- I had a memory card with it with pictures unfortunately, any suggestions to protect against sd card identify theft?

4- Since phone is suspended how worried should I be knowing that person can take my phone to a different company or in different country

thanks for your time

0 Likes
Re: erase data form bb curve
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

reverie wrote:

Hello,

I lost/someone stole my blackberry Curve 8530 last week. person found it and called me, but never returned it to me.

I have suspended the service and I have it password-protected before anyone can access my stuff

1- How secure is that password protection, I know after 10 unsuccessful tries theives will end up wiping the data - I don't use a PW on my Blackberry - so I don't know how easily it can be "cracked" - and as you said, after unsuccessful attempts the device will be wiped and unusable by anyone.

2- How do I REMOTELY erase data from the bb curve via desktop manager (or can vzw or bb company do it for me) The only way I am aware of is using BB Protect, an app that needs to be installed PRIOR TO the device being lost or stolen, that allows you to remotely wipe the device, sound an alarm, backup  the data, put a message on the home screen, etc.  I have it on mine and log in and check the settings and function every couple of weeks just to be sure it's still working and I remember how to access it.  I hope I never have to use it, but I don't want to be frantically trying to remember how to do so when/if the time comes.  Routine backups (weekly) have saved my data too.

3- I had a memory card with it with pictures unfortunately, any suggestions to protect against sd card identify theft?  They've got the SD card and any info on it... if it's just photos it's better than bank account info, personal documents, etc.

4- Since phone is suspended how worried should I be knowing that person can take my phone to a different company or in different country  If you have suspended the device, and reported it stolen, then it cannot be activated on another account until the ESN is released by Verizon.

thanks for your time

So sorry to hear about the loss of your phone!  Hope I've answered most of your questions.

0 Likes