anyway to get wma format files to work on a curve 8330
justbegining
0 Likes
Re: anyway to get wma format files to work on a curve 8330
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

The Blackberry 8330 should support WMA file types made in Windows Media Audio 9 or later.  With Windows Media Player, you can rip your favorite music CDs to WMA files or another file type of your preference.  You can go to Microsoft's web page and get Windows Media Player.  The best playback for media files is usually MP3 or MP4 file types.  If a WMA file is copy protected, such as music that was purchased online for download, the file may not play on any device except the device it was originally downloaded to. 

Doc

0 Likes
justbegining

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm trying to download audiobooks from the library.  The library site states that RIM blackberry is not supported.  I can download the books in MP3 format, but the selection is limited.  The "overdrive media software" that you need to download from the library works in conjunction with Windows Media.  I downloaded the file to my desktop and then used the Verizon Media Manager to move the file to my Blackberry.  It stated it was copywrited.  Does that mean Verizon needs to pay to have their devices supported?   The library site states to go to my providers website to see if their is a firmware update that will support  the WMA format.  I'm confused.  Is there a way to move the file from Windows Media Player to my Blackberry?  

I'm not sure why it won't work.  I have v 4.5.0.77 blackberry curve.  The library site seems to indicate that it  is a limitation on the blackberry not that the items are copy protected.  If I had an IPhone or Ipod or other MP3 players it would work.

The web site for the library is sjrlc.lib.overdrive.com 

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

I think I see the problem...it is a compatibility problem.  There may be a work-around.  After you download your file to your computer, transfer the file WMA or MP3, to your SD card directly.  Then put the card back into your Blackberry and see if it runs.  If the files are copy protected, then there may be no way to listen to them on your Curve.  Try transferring the files directly.  You might also try Mass Storage for transferring.  That may work too.

Doc

0 Likes