How long does the Blackberry Curve 8330 need to charge fully?
nikbait

I just got a blackberry curve, and am still learning everything I need to know about it, however, one thing I couldn't find out was how long do I need to charge it for? The guy at the store said overnight, but within a couple hours it had finished charging. How long does the battery usually last and how expensive are they to purchase?

Tammy Smith

0 Likes
Re: How long does the Blackberry Curve 8330 need to charge fully?
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Yeah it should only take a couple hours to charge fully, don't need to charge it anymore than that. I use my Curve CONSTANTLY for text/web/IM...everything and I can go a full 9 hours at work and be down to about 40%. But I use it heavily..there's not 5 minutes that goes by where I don't do something with it. One of my family members doesn't use it as often as me and she can get about 2 days off a full charge.

So it just depends on how you use it and to what extent. Your bars of signal will also affect battery life, the less bars you have the more it's using power to try and pick up signal. But if you average 3-full bars this shouldn't be an issue.

Oh, and batteries cost $39.99 for the Curve, that's from Verizon. You may be able to find them cheaper from a 3rd party somewhere.

Message Edited by nmchileman on 06-24-2009 06:24 PM
0 Likes
nikbait
Wow, ok, so then the guy at the store was full of it. Where can I read the % of battery life? Should I wait until it reads 'low battery' then charge it, or should I let it go all the way and shut itself off? And is it better to charge the phone when its on or off?
0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

The % you'll find under Options---->Status.

If you can help it, don't ever let it shut itself off. Charge it once it gets down to about 20-40% if you can. And it doesn't matter if it's on or off, it'll just reach a full charge faster if you have it off. But that doesn't affect the overall battery life.

Also, to help manager your battery life, remember that the Mute button on top of the phone will put it too sleep if you hold it down for a couple of seconds. So if you're not going to be using it as often as I do put it to sleep every once in a while.

0 Likes
nikbait
Thank you so very much!!
0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

Also for battery life a common problem are people not closing programs properly and they stay running in the background updating and eating free memory. Always do an option>close to shut down a program and if you want to see what is running Hold alt +back.

You can pick up a standard Cert RIM  battery for the curve for 19.00 bucks on third party sites and Seidio makes two extended batteries one that will fit under the stock cover and one that comes with a larger cover for 44.00. Seidio batteries, cases and covers are all good quality also.

0 Likes
rayneman

I just bought a Blackberry branded battery, brand new, for $5.99 on ebay.  It looks identical to the one that came stock in my phone, so I assume its real.  Its works fine...I also picked up a little mini-battery charger as well for $7.99 or something like that.  Pretty good deal and I now always have a full battery should I need it.

Every night before I go to bed I plug my Curve in.  With moderate use, it gets down to 70% or lower by the end of the day.

0 Likes
rayneman

XtremeBerry wrote:

Also for battery life a common problem are people not closing programs properly and they stay running in the background updating and eating free memory. Always do an option>close to shut down a program and if you want to see what is running Hold alt +back.

You can pick up a standard Cert RIM  battery for the curve for 19.00 bucks on third party sites and Seidio makes two extended batteries one that will fit under the stock cover and one that comes with a larger cover for 44.00. Seidio batteries, cases and covers are all good quality also.

Hi - terribly stupid question here, but when you say "alt + back" what buttons are you referring to?  I know the alt button (to get to your numbers and punctuation) but I am not sure of the "back" key.  I tried the DEL key but it did nothing. 

Thanks - I have been trying to figure out a way (like task mgr on windows) to see what's running but have had no success.

Tim

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3
Button to the right of the trackball.
0 Likes
rayneman

XtremeBerry wrote:
Button to the right of the trackball.

OK, I wasn't actually holding down the alt key, just pressing it.   

So, I have messages, browser, phone, address book and I guess home (house icon) running.  Is that normal for just having the phone sitting idle? 

0 Likes