High pitched sound/beep while on calls on BB Curve 8330
tdwidner

Forgive me if this is a duplicate post. I have searched and cannot find anything related.

I have a Curve 8330 - this is my 4th one (due to track ball issues and being sent faulty replacements) the last 2 units have had a high pitched beep or squealing during my calls.(this is not a minute tracking beep or anything like that) it happens sometimes every 10-15 seconds during my calls. I have googled this issue and am seeing other users having the same problem. Some are saying that Verizon will not assist or are not aware and some are saying that they have escalated it to the network group as they suspect its an issue with the network not specific phones. This seems to be happening predominately on 8330 but other BB users are seeing the same thing. This also seems to be happening since the latest OS upgrade (am not 100% sure) but for mine that's when it started. I do not know if anyone from Verizon monitors these forums but if you do please assist?Or if anyone else is having this issue and has a resolution please let me know.

I am on a lot of conference calls and this is becoming an huge issue

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: High pitched sound/beep while on calls on BB Curve 8330
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Tdwidner,

I sent you a private message here in the forums a few days ago with a link to download the file.  I just sent it again.  Anyone else needs it, send me a private message here in the forums.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

I have seen this as well and it has even occured on phones with the older OS but I have only heard of it on the 8330.  Some other posts have shown that the issue could possibly be related to the battery.  I am assuming that you had to keep the same battery when you recieved the replacement phones and the issue kept occuring.  I see you have also read the recent post about this issue.  If we can show the issue stops with the new battery in place, then we can prove to tech support that this is the fix.

0 Likes
tdwidner

I have tried 3 different batteries. I received new ones with the previous replacments and the issue is still happening. I did not see the tread regarding it being battery related. 2 of the 3 batteries were brand new. The tech support at VZW say they are not aware of it and wont assist me.

0 Likes
Geocritter

A couple of other thoughts, since you've ruled out the battery:

1. As always, did you try a battery pull?  Did that help?

2. Have you upgraded the os to the latest verizon offering (4.5.0.175)?

3.  Are you using a case on it which might be affecting the microphone (i.e., causing acoustic feedback?)  I've never had any problems with it, but some have had problems with Otterbox cases doing that.

4.  Does volume setting seem to have anything to do with it?  I.e., is it turned all the way up?

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

I have been researching this problem reported on the 8330.  The high pitched "chirping" sound seems to be a problem with the 8330 running certain OS upgrades.  What version of OS are you running now?  You can check by going to Options>About.  The latest OS upgrade released on 1/21/10 is 4.5.0.175 for the 8330.  If the problem is that OS, you may try downgrading to a lower OS such as 4.5.0.138.  I don't recall any users reporting that problem with the .138 OS. 

Doc

0 Likes
tdwidner

Hi Doc,

I am running 175 and it seemed to start happening after I upgraded the os.

Geocritter- You are asking all the same things VZW tech support did. I am fairly techy and I have tried everything regarding the actual handset... Thanks for your reply though.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

That's what I thought.  If you need the 4.5.0.138 file, I have it.  Just PM me and I will tell you how to get the file.

Doc

--------------

Edit...I have set up a web site with a download where you can get the file.  It was too large to email and took to long for that.  Send me a Private Message if you want the URL.  The file is an official VZW 8330 OS file that I had saved and works great.

Doc

0 Likes
RonM20747

I'm having the same issue.  I upgraded only a couple of weeks ago.  Is there anyway I can get the link as well?

0 Likes
tdwidner

I downgraded to OS version 4.5.0.138 from 4.5.0.175 and so far no high pitched sounds. I have another conference call this afternoon for 2 hours so that will be the true test.

If this indeed fix it then we as customers need to start contacting Verizon and badgering them until they get a fix for the new OS.

From what I am seeing on the postings here as well as the forums on Crackberry, its mainly the Curve 8330 with the 4.5.0.175 OS.

I will update tonight or tomorrow to let ya'll know if this worked..

One other side note, my best friend has 2 BlackBerry Curves 8330 - She is running 4.5.0.77 which is the OS prior to .138 and she has not had ANY issues with the high pitched sounds...

If  walks like a duck and talks like a duck...............

Doc I didnt ever receive that file from you.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Tdwidner,

I sent you a private message here in the forums a few days ago with a link to download the file.  I just sent it again.  Anyone else needs it, send me a private message here in the forums.

Doc

0 Likes