Coverage extender for Mountains?
roscoesmama

I frequently go backpacking in the Wind River Mountain Range of Wyoming.  I take a Personal Locator Beacon with me in the event of an emergency, but it's actually quite heavy.  I would like to just take my Blackberry Curve if I can be sure that the emergency call feature works even if I am in an area with no wireless phone service. Would the GPS feature allow me to be found if I engaged the emergency call feature on my phone?  Does this feature allow me to use my Blackberry as a defacto PLB?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Coverage extender for Mountains?
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

roscoesmama wrote:

I frequently go backpacking in the Wind River Mountain Range of Wyoming.  I take a Personal Locator Beacon with me in the event of an emergency, but it's actually quite heavy.  I would like to just take my Blackberry Curve if I can be sure that the emergency call feature works even if I am in an area with no wireless phone service. Would the GPS feature allow me to be found if I engaged the emergency call feature on my phone?  Does this feature allow me to use my Blackberry as a defacto PLB?

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.  Although the device will receive GPS signals without a data signal, it will still require a data signal to download the local map where you are located.  Example, Blackberry Maps.  Turn off your data signal in the manage connections folder and you see that you can receive a GPS signal, but no maps.  The emergency call feature requires a cell phone signal in order to work, even calling 911 emergency services.  I would still lug the locator beacon if that is what you have for now.  I hope this helps.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

roscoesmama wrote:

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.  Although the device will receive GPS signals without a data signal, it will still require a data signal to download the local map where you are located.  Example, Blackberry Maps.  Turn off your data signal in the manage connections folder and you see that you can receive a GPS signal, but no maps.  The emergency call feature requires a cell phone signal in order to work, even calling 911 emergency services.  I would still lug the locator beacon if that is what you have for now.  I hope this helps.

Doc

0 Likes
roscoesmama

Very helpful.  Many thanks, Doc.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

roscoesmama wrote:

Very helpful.  Many thanks, Doc.

You are welcome.  Good luck,