Blackberry Pearl 8130 and Curve 8330 updated to 4.5.0.138
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Verizon Wireless has officially released OS 4.5.0.138 for both the Blackberry Pearl 8130 and the Curve 8330. You can download the update @ http://vzam.net/blackberry and using Blackberry Desktop Manager to install it.

Nothing to swoon over on this update, just a few minor tweeks and performance enhancements. Found a change log from someone on the Crackberry.com forums.

Symptoms Resolved:

• Previously, when an email was received by the mail application with a registered attachment handler (such as RSA Token), the attachment was lost and the handler was not able to retrieve the data. This issue is fixed in this release of software.
  • Previously, the RSS rendering engine impacted the "Repligo" application when used as an embedded screen. This was a result of using the wrong rendering engine embedded in third party applications.
  • Previously, due to a de-bounce issue some third party headsets may not be detected correctly by the device. This prevented the user from playing music on an AUX capable car stereo system.
  • Previously, when answering a call, the device may trigger a short loud noise on the receiving end. This was due to a temporary audio routing issue where the music playback of the ringtone kept the speakerphone audio routing on for too long after pressing the send key

Like I said, nothing to swoon over but it's still good to be up to date and whatnot.

Unfortunately it's still doesn't meet the minimum requirements to run BBM 5.0. You need at least .148 or higher on these devices. So it looks like I'll have to take the plunge and download the 4.5.0.160 release from Telus.

But first I'll download this official update tonight. Any one going to install this update? I suggest you do.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Blackberry Pearl 8130 and Curve 8330 updated to 4.5.0.138
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

Ok I had this version a few months back and I am absolutely disgusted this is the version that VZ felt was ready to be released to the public. The issues that were present months ago are still here.

1. Signal bounce - after install and you see that your signal is fluctuating between 1X,1XEV,1Xev If this is happening to you do a *228 and pick option 2. Let it update then do a battery pull. It should straighten out, but I cant promise that . This is a known issue with this version.

2. The call timer is missing. No way to fix this.

FyI- BBM 5.0 will work on any 8330 OS version .131+

It works perfectly fine on .138 I installed it on three curves last night.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
swj-bill

My God, what a painful update.  I've never had problems before, but this was HORRIBLE.

Posting here FYI.  Be caureful.  Maybe it was sunspots, maybe something else.

Update proceeded fine until the end, when the restoring user data routine gave me an error message that it failed, and it pointed me at a file it left in My Documents.  It looked like most of my data was on my device, but I tried using the Backup/Restore arm of the BBerry Desktop app to restore again.  Same failure.  Oh well, it looked like my data was there.

Then I discovered the browser was no longer there -- just gone.  So  Ihad to go through the whole nutroll of reactivating and installing its service books.  In hindsight, the update routine did say I would have to reactivate the device, but it looked like it did it on its own.  No idea I had to do it manually.

Then I discovered all my SplashID data was corrupted, and the Splash sync would not work.  Had to completely uninstall and reinstall.  And that, after its 1st synch, inexplicably dumped all but ~8 records.  Fortunately, I had a backup. 

Finally, I now note that when I have the device plugged in to its USB cable, the battery icon doesn't show the little charging plug indicator.  Not sure if it is charging or not (though it was by AC adapter earlier today).

This has been a huge PITA.  For a couple of rinky-dink tweeks per prior post.  Though I will note the synch is now screaming fast.

0 Likes
mmehan82

I just finished the update.  No problems here.  Prior to updating, I did backup my data as well.

It does stink that BBM 5.0 will not work.  Hopefully, Verizon will release a new update soon that will include the fully unlocked GPS and capability to upgrade to BBM 5.0 as well.

As for the plug icon not showing up while connected via USB, it may be a problem on your own PC.  I had the same issue a while back and Windows was saying did not recognize connected device.  I have read other people had similar problems with a various level of successful troubleshooting.

1) Try a different USB cable.

2) Uninstall the drivers through the device manager.  Reconnect and let reinstall.

3) To narrow down that the problem was with my BB device, I ended up connecting to a different computer as well as trying someone else's blackberry.  I ended up going to VZW Store and they replaced my curve as it was under warranty.  Even their machine was unable to connect to the port.  Fortunately when that happened, my Bluetooth connection worked and I was able to back up everything then as well.

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

Ok I had this version a few months back and I am absolutely disgusted this is the version that VZ felt was ready to be released to the public. The issues that were present months ago are still here.

1. Signal bounce - after install and you see that your signal is fluctuating between 1X,1XEV,1Xev If this is happening to you do a *228 and pick option 2. Let it update then do a battery pull. It should straighten out, but I cant promise that . This is a known issue with this version.

2. The call timer is missing. No way to fix this.

FyI- BBM 5.0 will work on any 8330 OS version .131+

It works perfectly fine on .138 I installed it on three curves last night.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Allrigiht, I know you're right about .131 being the minimum you need for BBM 5.0 but when I installed it from a link @ BerryGurus.com it doesn't work. My BBM is completely gone; no icon, no option for it in my messaging menu..nothing. I have to downgrade back to 4.5 to get it working again. This happened with an OTA link from BerryGurus and a .alx file from Crackberry.

Got any ideas? Or maybe another link that you used to install on your 8330 devices? Help me out, brother.

But yes, I noticed the lack of a call timer. This is negligable for me as I've used a whooping 12 peak minutes this entire cycle. But it will become an issue with some of my collegues so I am disappointed that Verizon would do such a sneaky thing and remove the call timer.

I didn't have any issues installing it, activating my phone or have any trouble with signal fluctuation. But I am having an issue with the backlight; whenever the backlight goes out after inactivity ( which isn't much..but still :smileytongue: ) it won't come back on right away after clicking the track ball. There's about a 2-5 second lag before the backlight comes on. But eh, I'll deal with it I guess.

Otherwise I haven't had any other trouble...so far.

So yeah, help me out with that BBM 5.0 link homie. Hook it up!

Message Edited by nmchileman on 08-14-2009 09:14 AM
0 Likes
zachrtw

Arrg, the no call timer is a deal breaker for me. Every cell phone has a call timer, this is a freaking BB and you can't get the call timer to work? I thought we figured that out back in 1994. Also the battery life is shot to heck. Prior to the install I would make it thorugh a whole day and never run out of juice. Yesterday, the day after I installed .138, I got a low battery warning after lunch. The phone was fully charged that morning. The helpful customer service lady at the Verizon store's suggestion? Buy a new battery! Are you kidding? the phone is 3-4 months old, and I didn't have a problem till the day after I upgraded the OS, and you think the problem is the battery? 

Funny how they say this OS fixes the spreaker blast, when i went to the store and called customer support it was always "the first time I've ever heard of this issue" Hard to trust them when you know how widespread it is. I spent about an hour upgrading and now will spend an hour downgrading, who do i bill that time to?  

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

@Zach did you do the *228 you have signal bounce thats why your battery is not lasting.

@nmchile  check your pms

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Sweeeeet. Thanks, homie. After a painfully long download and installation process it worked!! At first the "instant message" option still didn't appear in my messaging menu, however the BBM icon was there. All I had to do was accept the T&Cs again and all my contacts were restored! Very awesome.

BBM 5.0 FTW!

0 Likes
zachrtw
Yes i did the *228 as soon as I updated. I had done some googling before I wound up here and am half way proficient with machines. I did some more messing around over the weekend and I think it's google voice that is sucking down all the power, with it uninstalled I got life close to what I was getting with out the update. Doesn't really matter, with out the call timer I won't use this update. Speaker blast is driving me nuts, so tonight it's time to try a hybrid install. Sorry VZW.
0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3
Good luck with the hybrids I have had some good and some really bad. I personally wiped a hybrid and changed a few phones over to .138 and everyone is very happy with it.
0 Likes