Re: Blackberry Curve 8330 chirping
BayBberry

I had a most helpful discussion today with a tech at Harvard Yard Verizon, who found in-house documentation that this is an OS issue, confirming previous Doc's response. (Seems to make sense, as we all seem to have started having the issue around the time of the upgrade.) Solution, he said, was to try downgrading, but "good luck with that." Most assuredly not amused, and current Blackberry rapidly moving toward violation of warranty, as chirping is getting louder, more insistent, and more frequent.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

BayBbery,

Thanks for confirming what I thought was the problem.  Users can downgrade if they had previous versions of the OS downloaded and installed on their PC of former OS such as 4.5.0.138.  I don't know if you can download those previous files from Verizon, but I still have the file listed on my PC, so if any of you want or need it, send my a Private Message here in the forums and I will send it to you.

Doc

0 Likes
Not applicable

After coming across this same issue with the BB 8330 chirping after upgrading to 4.5.0.175 I replaced the device under warranty. In addition to the chirp we found another symptom which was that the device would not ring, regardless of the tone or profile selected. It happened with the warranty replacement as well.  Luckily VZW sent a 2nd device by mistake.  It happened with the 2nd as well.    Since we proved it was an issue with the device and the software VZW sent for free an upgrade to the Curve 2.   

Solution:  Call support and tell them other people have reported this issue on the Verizon and the Blackberry forums.  If they cannot provide a software fix replace your device with another model.

0 Likes
melc65

SparkyCanine - just curious if this is even possible with Verizon.  I am only 5th BB 8330.  And this phone is chirping too.  Have you personally ever had Verizon replace with something different?  I'm just curious.  Because no one in this entire company seems to care that my phone doesn't ring 50% of the time or when I am on the phone it chirps at me. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

Melcc65,

I have had 2 phones replaced with this issue.  I didn't even need to go up the chain.  I just explained how the issue was not going away and that it has been a known issue for quite some time.  Of course this was business support and I manage over a hundred devcies.   I will say that off all the carriers VZW seems to have the best customer care.  If you call and let them know the history they usually make it right.

0 Likes
tdwidner

Does anyone know if a version of the OS newer than 4.7 been released? I went back to 4.5 to get rid of the chirp. But was wondering if I could upgrade to another version. Or if Verizon has acknowedged the issue and has a fix

0 Likes
Cassie49

I had my phone replaced once because the screen went completely blank. Then the replacement phone made this chirping noise and it wouldn't charge properly. So they replaced that one as well. I just got the replacement phone and on the first call my phone maded that dang chirping sound!  

0 Likes
Not applicable

Melc65,

I've now replaced 3 BB8330 curves with different models on three different lines.   Just call and be persistent.   Use this link to show how widespread the issue is: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Blackberry+8330+chirp.  If you have a business account manager it gets easier, but you can always go into a VZW store and ask for a manager.  Face to face when you don't have a large account (plus a positive attitude) works very well.

Sparky

0 Likes
sewamzing

Does anyone know if VZW plans to fix .175 or put out another OS upgrade? Seems like this has been going on for quite awhile...

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

I have not heard of any future releases for the 8330.  If I do, I will post in this thread.

Doc

0 Likes