BB Curve Outlook Synch on $29.99 data plan
Hal

I'd like to upgrade my phone to BB Curve on the $29.99 data plan, but I can't figure out what my options will be for synching Outlook 2007. 

Calendar: 

• On the $29.99 plan, I can't use Enterprise Server or BB Desktop Manager, correct?
  • How will I be able to synch my Outlook Calendar? 
  • Is there a wireless method? Or must I synch with a cable connection to my PC? 

Email 

• Is POP 3 the only way to get my Outlook mail to the Blackberry on the $29.99 data plan? 
  • Is it possible really to synchronize, or just to pull down messages and reply, etc.?  
  • Can I use the BB web browser to access  email via Outlook Web Access?

I'll be really grateful if someone can give me advice on this. Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: BB Curve Outlook Synch on $29.99 data plan
EarthUnderSky
Contributor - Level 2

Hello Hal,

Okay, let's start with your calendar. You are correct about syncing without BES. In order to get the wireless sync you must activate an Enterprise Server License. So, you could stay with the BIS and sync with cable.

Next is the mail. I personally have a BIS and I am able to get my work mail to my device. You should be able to as well.

BES is Blackberry Enterprise Server

BIS is Blackberry Internet Server.

You cannot use BB Browser to access email via Outlook Web Access.

And yes you can Synchronize with BIS as well as reconcile. 

Good Luck....Hope this helps

Regards, Michael 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
EarthUnderSky
Contributor - Level 2

Hello Hal,

Okay, let's start with your calendar. You are correct about syncing without BES. In order to get the wireless sync you must activate an Enterprise Server License. So, you could stay with the BIS and sync with cable.

Next is the mail. I personally have a BIS and I am able to get my work mail to my device. You should be able to as well.

Regards, Michael 

0 Likes
Hal
Thanks a bunch. This is helpful.
0 Likes
rayneman

EarthUnderSky wrote:

Hello Hal,

Regards, Michael 

Hi,  I have a few questions on EarthUnderSky's post above...hopefully he (or someone equally as experienced) can help.

You wrote "I personally have a BIS and I am able to get my work mail to my device. You should be able to as well."

Can you elaborate on how to do this?  The only way I can think of is through OWA, however you also say...

"You cannot use BB Browser to access email via Outlook Web Access."

Without BES, I thought the only way to get work mail would be thru OWA, I can do this on my Dare (although its a nightmare). 

Further...and this isn't related to the questions here, but I thought I'd ask - is the browsing on a Curve going to be worse than that of my Dare?  I am beginning to worry about this, and am not sure I should activate the Curve I have coming my way.

Thanks to anyone for help!!!

Tim

Message Edited by rayneman on 05-28-2009 10:04 AM
0 Likes
EarthUnderSky
Contributor - Level 2

Hello rayneman,

Check this out..... This is a link to BIS

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

So the best advice I can give you is when your ready to create a new email account on your curve call this number on another device beside the one you are going to set the account up on. Here's the number.

(800) 922-0204

After following the prompts to direct you to a BB CSR, ask that person to help create a new email account as well as creating a user account to log into that link I provided to you. Probably create the user account for the link first then create the new mail account. Once finished with that then you can create up to 10 email account. Now at this point you don't necessarily have to set up any new email account form the internet. You should have a Setup Icon on your curve that will let you create new mail accounts through an account wizard. I would advise setting up your first account with the BB CSR.

So concerning your second question....Just by me reading into your post looks like your Curve hasn't been delivered yet. I can say that you will have the latest OS installed on that device. I think that OS was just released this month. Should be well up to date.

The browsers on Blackberries are tons better than on other devices. But then again I'm partial. I would suggest going to your nearest VZW store or outlet and playing around with one of the displays if you are able to...

Hope this helps.....-Good Luck-

Regards, Michael

PM me if you feel the need... 

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3
I hope some is still monitoring this post.  Can you get email notifications with BIS; i.e. can you have a voice say, "You've got mail."?
0 Likes