wifi basic phones?
shortthiing_jenn

Hi i have a phone through my job and myself and my coworkersd can only use basic phones. I really would like to know if there are any with wifi. I am on a limited data plan and share with my coworkers so a wifi phone would help so much. we all need something we can do minor research with like if we have a question and need wikapedia or google we can do so also some asked for youtube but thats not a big deal.  a decent camera is a must we have to snap photos of jobsites and text the boss them. Would love to have him upgrade us to smart plans we even sugested we would pay the differance but no go Smiley Sad

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: wifi basic phones?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The only wi-fi basic phones that I'm aware of was the Kin line.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yep only the Kin lines had wi-fi. Basic phones wouldn't use much data anyways since their browsers are limited. Wikipedia and Google don't use much data on the normal site the WAP site would barely use any. You can forget Youtube and you'll have to define "good" as far as the camera. I wouldn't consider the camera on basic phones "good" except for the Kin. Seems you boss is cheap. He shouldn't expect you to do research and take good pics to send to him if he will only pay for smartphones. Sounds like you're on a Share Everything plan which is so a smartphone would only be $10 more per month each. Maybe a little extra to up the data a few GB just in case. Shouldn't be that big of an expense for a business. Also since he is providing the phones it's a tax deduction. So really it's not costing him a thing to provide you with smartphones.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

shortthiing_jenn wrote:

Hi i have a phone through my job and myself and my coworkersd can only use basic phones.... I am on a limited data plan and share with my coworkers so a wifi phone would help so much. we all need something we can do minor research with like if we have a question and need wikapedia or google we can do so ...  a decent camera is a must we have to snap photos of jobsites and text the boss them. Would love to have him upgrade us to smart plans we even sugested we would pay the differance but no go Smiley Sad

If your boss is providing the phones, and he expects you to do specific tasks with those phones, then it makes sense that the phones are capable of performing those tasks.  If the boss's only requirement is taking pix at a jobsite and texting them, then a basic phone, even without a data plan, is capable of that.  If it's your wish to have internet to do research, you do have the limited data plan.  Wifi may not even factor in if it is not available at jobsites, and if the data plan you have is sufficient for your job usage, the the boss may not see the need for a wifi capable phone.

If you are over the data allowance for the basic phone(s), then the boss may see the need to change things, if overages are consistent.  If you can do your job to his satisfaction with the phones and plan he provides, well, he's the boss.  If you'd like a better phone for your own personal use, then that's on you.

In  any event, there's not much this peer-to-peer forum can do to convince your boss you need better phones. The only basic phone I am aware of with wifi was the Kin, and I don't even know if those are still available.

0 Likes