samsung gusto - head set problems
duwg

I just got a samsung gusto and purchased a head set. butthe head set will not work once I plug it in. head set works with other phone and devices..any one have any solutions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Samsung gusto - head set problems
Not applicable

Hello and Good morning!

I actually prefer a wired headset, myself, so I know how you feel about them! I did research on our website and found our accessory page for wired headsets compatible with the Samsung Gusto! 

I hope that information helps you out!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: samsung gusto - head set problems
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

duwg, let's see if we can get your headset working with your device.  Did you purchase the headset from Verizon wireless corporate store or online via our official website?  What kind of headset is it? If you purchased the headset from us, we can walk you through some steps to ensure your phone is capable of pairing with the headset. If the headset was purchased from a third party company, that headset may not be compatible. 

Note: This phone does not support all Bluetooth profiles.

Listed below is a link to our website, for directions to pair your phone with a Bluetooth headset. (You will need to choose the option that displays "Purple Gusto), then choose  your accessory (headset). 

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/bluetooth

0 Likes
PAMELAGRIFFIN
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having the same problem.  (Looks like the tech support reply missed the "once I plug it in" clue indicating that you're talking about a wired headset rather than a wireless Bluetooth device.  Until they come out with "Bluedenture," old-school wired headsets suit my needs better too.)

So far what I've discovered is that all 2.5mm jacks are not the same.  The 2.5mm headsets I used with the Motorola that my Gusto replaces do not work on the Gusto.  Typically, 2.5mm jacks have 2 black rings around the shank of the jack and 3.5mm jacks have 3 rings (in addition to being 1mm too big to fit in a 2.5mm hole).  My 2.5mm headsets have the 2 rings.  When I returned to the VZW store to get help w/the issue, the clerk demonstrated 2 wired headsets with 3.5mm jacks on adapters for 2.5mm that both worked fine with the Gusto. 

I noticed that the 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter had 3 black rings around the shank of the 2.5mm jack.  Given that my old 2-ringed 2.5mm headsets could be "wiggled" around and situated "just so" to "work" with my Gusto (as long as you didn't move a muscle or breath), I concluded that the Gusto needs the 3-ringed 2.5mm shank to make full contact.  Notably, the 3-ringed version didn't leave any "wiggle room" in the jack.  It fit snuggly no matter which angle I approached it from.

Regrettably, I did not purchase either of those headsets because I wasn't thrilled with how either of them attached to me.  I set out with high expectations of finding a headset that would plug into my Gusto and my ear and work on both ends, and that hasn't happened yet.  Seemed to me that the secret was in the adapter, but my attempts to use other adaptors that look identical to the VZW store version have not resulted in success.  In fact, every adaptor I've tried produces no sound in the headset when it's plugged in, and with the adaptor plugged into the phone and the headset unplugged from the adaptor, sound comes from the phone's handset.  That seems completely weird since plugging the headset in is "supposed" to override the phone's earpiece and/or speakerphone.

I did find one version that was working.  It had 2 earbuds, an inline mic, and required no adapter.  Only one earbud worked, which made sense to me since the Gusto's not a stereo device it should only be expected to emit a mono signal.  I only wanted 1 earbud anyway since it's illegal to drive with a listening device in both ears.  However, having that 2nd earbud dangling was annoying, and I was concerned that if I was pulled over while wearing the unit, the officer could incorrectly conclude that I had been driving with both buds in my ears and cite me for it.  So in an effort to rid myself of the dangling annoyance and to adhere to my personal policy of avoiding even the appearance of "wrong doing" (such as the driving with both ears plugged), I cut the 2nd earbud off, and now the thing isn't working.   So maybe I'll try soldering it back on.

If you're anything at all like me, you may have suspected that the problem was specific to your unit (as in "Mine's broken!!").  So if nothing else, you can take comfort in the high likelihood that it isn't your phone.  Now what would be absolutely brilliant is if Samsung or VZW would actually provide the specs for which headsets will work with the Gusto.  That said, my experience is that headset packaging doesn't provide much technical info either, and sometimes even after hacking through all the plastic packaging there's insufficient info in the inserts as well.  Pretty much, the game's reduced to plug it in, and if it works, it's the right one, and if it doesn't work, it's NOT the right one.

At this point I've concluded:

1)  That headset jacks can't be judged by their cover, and there's a whole bunch that I don't know about them.

2)  Learning what I don't know isn't likely to get me anywhere since I'll need to partner with a sales clerk who possesses the same knowledge, and I haven't found one yet who isn't guessing and head scratching right along with me.

3)  That it's wise to test the headset in the store prior to purchase, or in the alternative, test it in the store after purchase so if it doesn't work, it can be returned on the spot.

4) That 2 options offered at the VZW Store aren't looking so bad at this point. 

I hope this helps you.  And I hope that somewhere out there somebody's listening and realizing that there is still a viable market here for those of us who have no use for smart phones and data plans.  The availability of dumb phones and dumb phone accessories is shrinking disproportionate to the demand.  It's a bad idea for children to walk around with the Internet in their pockets, and there are many adults who have no practical use for it as well.  During my recent multiple visits to the VZW Store, it was clear that all the staff had extensive knowledge about all the smart phone options, pros and cons, performance reviews, functions, etc. but didn't know one wit about the basic phones.  That's scary.  We really don't want the tail wagging this particular dog.  We have an economy to recover and children to protect. 

But I digress.  One last hint, since your continued quest for a functional headset is likely to entail lots of testing, consider recording a "fake call" to use for the initial test stages.  The Hints & Tips Pamphlet that came with your Gusto will tell you how to set that up, or you can download the Users Guide through this site for those instructions.  You can also call voicemail, but I found that the pauses between prompts and the brevity of the prompts came to wear on my patience after a dozen or so rounds.  Once you get a headset you can actually hear your phone on, then you can involve someone else to test if the clarity of the microphone is sufficient.  My last headset was so great that when I answered my phone without using it, callers who were accustomed to talking with me on headset complained that they couldn't hear me clearly without it.  I'm determined to find the headset that will be just as remarkable with my Gusto.

Good luck.  If/when I find "the one," I'll post the make and model # here.  If you find it first, please do the same.

Re: Samsung gusto - head set problems
Not applicable

Hello and Good morning!

I actually prefer a wired headset, myself, so I know how you feel about them! I did research on our website and found our accessory page for wired headsets compatible with the Samsung Gusto! 

I hope that information helps you out!

0 Likes
michaelw1

Thank you ... this was very helpful.  Yes, I thought my handset was broken.  If Samsung 

and Verizon are going to use nonstandard equipment it would be helpful if they would 

clearly mark it as such.  Failure to do so shows contempt for their customers, which is

exactly right, I think.  Either that or gross incompetance.  

Speaking of the latter, I just had to subscribe to three, (3), different verizon accounts to be

able to reply to this email to thank you.

Amazing.

MW

0 Likes
plug in Re: samsung gusto - head set problems
feisty2463
Enthusiast - Level 1

this lengthy explanation totally cracks me up!  I've struggled with Jabra bluetooth -- I suspect they will soon go out of business -- and decided to try plug in for my wonderful Samsung Gusto flip phone.  I ordered a single ear 2.5mm through ebay and am about to return it.  Now I understand, it had only 2 rings and wiggle room rather than 3 rings.  And even with 3 rings there is a chance it may not have worked.  I think the world has gotten so "smart" it can't even figure out how to make a simple wire ear piece to plug into a simple flip phone!  So my solution?  Hang the flip phone around my neck in a little purse and put it on speaker phone.  I can't dial of answer of course, but at least I can chat while moving around.  

0 Likes
Re: plug in samsung gusto - head set problems
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know the importance of getting your eaqrp[iece hooked up to your device, and we will be glad to help you get this resovled! To confirm, what is the exact model of your Jabra Bluetooth device? DavidR_VZW

0 Likes